Good Friend & Customer

Business By apclassicwed Updated 28 May 2008 , 8:52pm by Solecito

apclassicwed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apclassicwed Posted 27 May 2008 , 2:55pm
post #1 of 7

On 5/5 , my co-worker (and friend) asked me to make her grandaughters' birthday cake ( 2 girls, 2 & 4 years old who b-days are a week apart, having a combined party). This co worker has gotten all of her special cakes from me over the past 4 years. I told her that I wasn't available for Saturday 5/17 to drop off the cake, but I'd make it and bring it to work on Friday 5/16. She told me she would call me with details on Thursday 5/8--she didn't call.

She finally called me 2 days before the party (she had been off work sick) and asked if I could still do the cake. I stood my ground and told her that I could NOT do this cake because she had not called when she said she would and I was unable to shop & prep for this cake at such short notice, especially since my work schedule had changed and now I'm working on Fridays. So, she was very understanding and got a Sam's club cake for the party.

Here's the good friend part: At work after the party date, she came to my office and told me that she would never make the mistake of trying to short order from me again! She was so disappointed in the Sam's Cake, even though the design was "cute enough" they got the kid's names and ages mixed up ("you never make mistakes" icon_lol.gif ) and the cake "just didn't taste like yours"( I would hope not! icon_rolleyes.gif ) . So on the spot (a full 2 weeks early) she ordered, with details and deposit, the cake for her daughter's baby shower

The moral of this story: Provide a quality, good tasting, good decorated fair priced (NOT CHEAP) product , handled with professionalism will keep your customer base with you despite the Big Box Boys and the people who respect/appreciate your product, your time will be more than understanding

Sorry this is so long, but positive reinforcement is a good thing
Anita

6 replies
jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 27 May 2008 , 3:05pm
post #2 of 7

Thank you for posting this. It is very encouraging, especially since everyone is so strapped these days. Hopefully great quality will always prevail!!!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 May 2008 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 7

Encouraging and inspiring! We all need to hear these kinds of stories now and then (More "now" than "then"!)

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 27 May 2008 , 8:28pm
post #4 of 7

Congrats on a loyal customer and obviously great tasting cakes!

apclassicwed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apclassicwed Posted 28 May 2008 , 5:40pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks for the replies! I hope there are more "good customer" posts from from more CC'ers, it's time for some good news! icon_smile.gif

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 28 May 2008 , 6:33pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you so much for that boost of memory. I am very happy that it worked out for your new cake order from your friend. Thanks for sharing. icon_biggrin.gif

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 28 May 2008 , 8:52pm
post #7 of 7

Thank God Sam's didn't won her over!!! icon_wink.gif
Just kidding, I want to congratulte you because she valued your work and could see the difference between your cakes, there are a lot of people who wont.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%