Wilton Fondant- How Bad Really Is It?

Decorating By gottabakenow Updated 29 May 2008 , 3:52pm by AJsGirl

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 29 May 2008 , 3:41am
post #61 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedecoratingsmything

wow i get the point! i won't be buying wilton fondant, dont worry, icon_lol.gif ceetee, u sure summed it up all right there, and i didnt even taste the stuff. i guess i should be glad i didnt! thanks for all your opinions! thumbs_up.gif

Oh I say, live a little, it's only 5 dollars or so for a small box at Walmart. Just buy a box and try it. I think you can't be called a professional cake decorator until you can officially bash Wilton fondant. icon_lol.gif

I use Satin Ice but still have problems with its consistency. It stretches a little too easily, is often too sticky and breaks or cracks easily. I'm not brave enough to try a recipe and I've almost decided that fondant just isn't my thing. Everyone around here peels it off their cake anyway.

Does anyone else find they have to cut the chocolate Satin Ice with some white? The chocolate tub I got was really, really dark and I use half white and half chocolate to get a nice brown color and a good taste. Otherwise it's almost black and way too chocolatey.

brogi2baker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brogi2baker Posted 29 May 2008 , 3:49am
post #62 of 67

For mmf I love Rhonda's Ulimate MMF recipe on here. tastes great, easy to make, easy to work with, and freezes well to use later. I have converted fondant haters with her recipe.

Wilton's fondant is nasty and not fit for consumption. I have no idea how to describe the taste, there really isn't a way to describe it, cause I cant compare it to anything I do eat. Plus it is expensive when you compare a box of it to the ingredients in homemade mmf, it is about 10x as much.

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 29 May 2008 , 3:59am
post #63 of 67
Quote:
Quote:

es, I also didn't like the taste of Wilton Fondant. For some reason I thought there was a fishy-taste to it. Did anymore else experience this? Or am I just crazy? LOL.

I have often thought it had a fishy taste/smell about it too. I have said it tastes like it was made in a fish factory after they ran the fish. icon_confused.gif

I made my own fondant but also do use Satin Ice/Pettinice in a pinch. I do use Wilton Fondant and their gum paste to make flowers, figures, etc. Never anything that I think someone will eat.

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 29 May 2008 , 4:24am
post #64 of 67

Yes, I always cut the Satin Ice Dark Chocolate with 1/2 White to get a good Milk or regular brown chocolate. I usually have to mic 1/2 Satin Ice and MMF to get a good non cracking consistancy...everything is a hassle, you know! LOL!

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 29 May 2008 , 1:08pm
post #65 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedecoratingsmything

wow i get the point! i won't be buying wilton fondant, dont worry, icon_lol.gif ceetee, u sure summed it up all right there, and i didnt even taste the stuff. i guess i should be glad i didnt! thanks for all your opinions! thumbs_up.gif

Oh I say, live a little, it's only 5 dollars or so for a small box at Walmart. Just buy a box and try it. I think you can't be called a professional cake decorator until you can officially bash Wilton fondant. icon_lol.gif

I use Satin Ice but still have problems with its consistency. It stretches a little too easily, is often too sticky and breaks or cracks easily. I'm not brave enough to try a recipe and I've almost decided that fondant just isn't my thing. Everyone around here peels it off their cake anyway.

Does anyone else find they have to cut the chocolate Satin Ice with some white? The chocolate tub I got was really, really dark and I use half white and half chocolate to get a nice brown color and a good taste. Otherwise it's almost black and way too chocolatey.

gosh you guys are making me lose sleep over this! icon_lol.gif I think I'll be at walmart next week, I'll see if they have some. I'll let you know what I think!

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 29 May 2008 , 1:09pm
post #66 of 67

oh- anyone want to send this thread to wilton?

jk, jk

AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 29 May 2008 , 3:52pm
post #67 of 67

I still say we could end the war on terror by making the terrorists eat Wilton fondant! They'd surrender for sure! icon_biggrin.gif

My friends and family prefer my homemade MMF even to Satin Ice and Chocopan. I don't argue, it's cheaper anyway. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%