Mud Cake Sinking?

Decorating By dittle Updated 28 May 2008 , 6:37am by cupsncakes

dittle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dittle Posted 26 May 2008 , 7:00am
post #1 of 3

Can someone please help me.
I have had two disaster in a row and don't know what I am doing wrong. I made a 6" mud cake twice and both have come out with a hole in the centre.At first when they come out of the oven they look great. They rise really high. Once I let it cool and I touched the top crust I found that it fell away and exposed the huge hole in the centre of the cake. What am I doing wrong? I have been told to mix the wet ingredients into the dry slowly, but this time I mixed it fast with a wooden spoon. Could this have created to many air bubbles?

2 replies
Sparklepop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklepop Posted 26 May 2008 , 9:50am
post #2 of 3

Are you sure they're air bubbles? Mud cakes usually have a long cooking time with a slow oven. Quite often you notice the top is cooked but the inside is not. I don't think mixing it fast or slow by hand would make much difference as long as the mixture is thoroughly incorporated.

Not much help but it might give you something to think about thumbs_up.gif

cupsncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupsncakes Posted 28 May 2008 , 6:37am
post #3 of 3

I'm not sure, but it sounds like your oven is too hot. This has happened to me a few times and I understand your fustration! I turned the oven lower and cooked it longer and it seemed to fix the problem. I find it is really hard to tell if a mud cake is cooked, because they are supposed to be, well, muddy right? I think usually if they rise up really fast then the oven is probably too hot, they get all crusty on top, but are not always done in the middle. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%