Gift Bag Cake Help Please

Decorating By Carson Updated 25 May 2008 , 1:42pm by weirkd

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 24 May 2008 , 8:38pm
post #1 of 5

I need to make a cake that looks like a gift/shopping bag. I was wondering how to go about making it look authentic. I have seen some awesome ones but not sure how to start it. I want to use mmf. I also did a search and did not find much, maybe I'm not searching for the right words, so I would appreciate any and all help I can get. This cake is to be made next week...

4 replies
mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 24 May 2008 , 9:17pm
post #2 of 5

you mean like this? http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=15124

What is it specifically that you need help with?

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 24 May 2008 , 9:33pm
post #3 of 5

I made one and have a picture of it in my pics.

I used a bread loaf pan and used three cakes stacked. Then I doweled them and used foam corp board as separtor plates and made sure the dowels were sharp to go through all three layers. Then also the foamboard underneath. Then I went ahead and draped it with fondant and made a lip for the top. Used a rope mold for the handle.

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 25 May 2008 , 3:10am
post #4 of 5

Mindy, that's exactly what I mean. weirkd those instructions are what I was looking for. I was unsure how to go about constructing, I am worried about the cake remaining standing and the fondant being too heavy. I have read somewhere else about cutting the fondant square out, letting them dry then attaching, I do not want to do this because I don't want to remove the fondant to eat the cake.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 25 May 2008 , 1:42pm
post #5 of 5

You should be fine with them being dowled to the cake board underneath. I didnt have any problems with my fondant falling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%