Painting Fondant That Is Already Dry

Decorating By SHERRYRICHMOND Updated 24 May 2008 , 9:10pm by mindywith3boys

SHERRYRICHMOND Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHERRYRICHMOND Posted 24 May 2008 , 2:21pm
post #1 of 6

Help! I am making a graduation cap and have already dried the flat part. I need to color it in camo colors, as well as the dome part, which I guess I will also cover with fondant. Any advice will be GREATLY appreciated on how to color each of them. I just want to make sure painting the fondant won't soften it.

5 replies
laurascakedesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurascakedesign Posted 24 May 2008 , 2:36pm
post #2 of 6

What I have done that seems to work well is to turn some icing almost into paint. I water it down to about a thin paste, that I can use an actual paintbrush with, and then color it. It colors darker than icing though, because there isn't that much icing to mix with i suppose, so be aware of that if you're trying for certain colors. Play around with it once you have it mixed, and if it doesn't spread very well with a small paintbrush, add a little more water until it does.

SHERRYRICHMOND Posted 24 May 2008 , 3:35pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks for the advice. Have you ever just thinned down icing color to "paint" fondant? I have done that before on fresh fondant and it worked well, but I just wasn't sure how it would work on dried fondant. This has been a last minute project for a friend's daughter who is graduating.

laurascakedesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurascakedesign Posted 24 May 2008 , 5:03pm
post #4 of 6

I've thought about it, but never tried it. I was always afraid I would turn people's mouths colors! : P Seems like also if you were painting something rather large you would use a lot of colors too....

SHERRYRICHMOND Posted 24 May 2008 , 5:48pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks! It's nice to get someone else's opinion on new endeavors.

mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 24 May 2008 , 9:10pm
post #6 of 6

Painting won't soften it (as long as your not getting it super wet). I would just use airbrushing pant and paint it with a paint brush.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%