Attention Cross Stitchers

Lounge By HerBoudoir Updated 25 May 2008 , 9:32pm by manahigh

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 24 May 2008 , 1:28pm
post #1 of 11

I used to be very much into doing cross stitching, and am starting to get back into it (I just started Mirabilia's Crystal Symphony - nothing like a "small" design to get me back into it, right?)

Can anyone suggest discussion boards similar to CC but for cross stitching? Thanks!

Also, I'll need to order some stuff online because I really don't have a local cross stitch store. What are your favorite places to order? I've dealt primarily with Nordic Needle in the past.

10 replies
chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 24 May 2008 , 5:22pm
post #2 of 11

I used to X-stitch alot. I have so many completed projects just laying about in a box.

Sorry I can't help you with where to purchase, though.

Where on the Eastern Shore do you live? It's a lovely area. My ex is from Pocomoke (but doesn't live there anymore, though his folks do).

abbyg7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abbyg7 Posted 25 May 2008 , 2:54am
post #3 of 11

I don't know of any good discussion groups, but a good place to order online is www.stitchesnthings.com I have always received very good service from them and they are very helpful. There is also a place on the website to sign up for a weekly email newsletter where they will show you the latest items in their shop.

HerBoudoir Posted 25 May 2008 , 2:26pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutzpah

I used to X-stitch alot. I have so many completed projects just laying about in a box.

Sorry I can't help you with where to purchase, though.

Where on the Eastern Shore do you live? It's a lovely area. My ex is from Pocomoke (but doesn't live there anymore, though his folks do).

I hear that - I have a box full of finised projects, including two of the Mirabilia Queens (Spring and Autumn). I originally wanted to do all 4 then get them framed to match in size, so they could be hung as a series. I have the feeling I'm going to be waiting a LOOONG time until I get the other two done LOL

I'm in Easton, which is about 90 miles north of Pocomoke, but I know that area well - I go to school in Princess Anne. And yes, I commute that far...ugh.

HerBoudoir Posted 25 May 2008 , 2:28pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbyg7

I don't know of any good discussion groups, but a good place to order online is www.stitchesnthings.com I have always received very good service from them and they are very helpful. There is also a place on the website to sign up for a weekly email newsletter where they will show you the latest items in their shop.

Thanks - I'll have to check them out!

I got the floss for my current project but I still have to go through and order a bunch of Mill Hill beads and Krenik to finish it off (although I'm a long way from that as yet since I just started it!)

chutzpah Posted 25 May 2008 , 2:30pm
post #6 of 11

WOW!!

I just googled that project and must say, that is one heckuva project! It'll be lovely when you're finished!

chutzpah Posted 25 May 2008 , 2:33pm
post #7 of 11

Now don't think I'm stalking you, but this stuff also came up in my search:

http://mirabiliabulletinboard.yuku.com/
http://mirabiliastitchers.yuku.com/

HerBoudoir Posted 25 May 2008 , 2:36pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutzpah

WOW!!

I just googled that project and must say, that is one heckuva project! It'll be lovely when you're finished!

Past experience says I can get a Mirabilia done in about 4-6 months if I work on it a couple times a week - it's just finding the time to do that icon_smile.gif. I love her projects (they really speak to my romantic side). The plus side is that I find her patterns really easy to do - she doesn't use a lot of blended threads and almost all whole stitches (usually only half stitches on faces/arms), and a few of the other things that some designers with similarly spectacular projects (Teresa Wenzler, Mark Saastad) do to torture us poor stitchers. The Mirabilias are large - usually about 12 by 18 inches - but that's the most difficult part.

abbyg7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abbyg7 Posted 25 May 2008 , 3:50pm
post #9 of 11

I really like the Mirabilia designs also. Since you like them, you might also check out www.Heavenandearthdesigns.com They have some very unique patterns. I just got Spirit of Winter and can't wait to start it. I have to finish a Christmas stocking first though for my soon to be daughter-in-law. I started it last year and didn't finish it in time. I don't enjoy working on it, I think because I'm not crazy about the pattern. It's a Noahs ark and she picked it out because it reminded her of her grandmother. Since she officially becomes family in July, I need to get it done this year. Do you ever find that if you don't like the design it's harder for you to work on it? I had the same problem with a stocking I started two years ago for my other daughter-in-law. I just didn't enjoy working on it. A friend said that maybe I wasn't enjoying it because the design "wasn't her". And as soon as I found another pattern I whipped the thing out in no time.

HeatherBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherBelle Posted 25 May 2008 , 6:09pm
post #10 of 11

I've just recently started cross-stitching again, and I'm going to try my hand at needlepoint. Of course, I'm only doing that because I found a pattern I want to give to my mom for Christmas. icon_lol.gif

There are some very helpful links in this post. Thanks for all who have posted!

manahigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manahigh Posted 25 May 2008 , 9:32pm
post #11 of 11

I enjoy cross-stitching as well. I have made Abbey cloth designs for each of my grandbabies and Christmas stockings for everyone as well.
I recently ordered from a website a month ago and still have not received my order. Thank goodness it was not alot of money but I am beginning to doubt that I will ever get it. They have responded quickly to each of my e-mail inquiries about it and insist they have mailed it. As of May 16th they said they would resend it, but so far nothing. How long does it take to mail a first class item through the USPO? If anyone is curious which site this is please pm me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%