Can't Figure Out Red Velvet!

Decorating By EmilyGrace Updated 26 May 2008 , 6:35am by EmilyGrace

EmilyGrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyGrace Posted 23 May 2008 , 9:23pm
post #1 of 21

I've been trying out a few different red velvet recipes and so far they all kind of taste the same and well, not so good. I've never had red velvet before trying out some recipes so i'm not sure if It's just me and I don't like red velvet or if i'm doing something wrong. My family has tasted the recipes as well and no one is a big fan. I've tried recipes with a tsp of cocoa, 3 tbsp of cocao, some with buttermilk some with sour cream, some with vinager some without, different flours etc... and I just find they all have a funny after taste. The texture is fine so I don't think it's my baking. Could the funny after taste be from the red dye? It tastes chemically or something. Red velvet is not a popular cake where I live but I have found one bakery that makes a red velvet cupcake so I'm goinna try that out. I hear such wonderful things about red velvet but so far I'm not convinced... although I do love cream cheese frosting!

20 replies
chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 23 May 2008 , 9:28pm
post #2 of 21

Red velvet is gross. Cake, flavored with a little bit of cocoa and LOTS of red food coloring. Who wants to eat that? Urk.

I've never understood the hysteria about RV, either.

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 23 May 2008 , 10:05pm
post #3 of 21

Sorry but--I have to say: My RV is AWsome.

Check my prior posts for my recipe; I've posted it here a few times, and it is the best. It's one of my very most popular wedding cake flavors. No one who's ever tried it has ordered anything else. You can eat it without icing, it's so good.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 23 May 2008 , 10:29pm
post #4 of 21

Darlin, the funny chemical taste is the RED FOOD COLORING. Not gonna get away from that unless you do un-red velvet... which will taste the same with your eyes closed.. well, except for the bitter part.

Chrisl121070 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chrisl121070 Posted 23 May 2008 , 10:54pm
post #5 of 21

homecook - I did a search of your posts and couldn't find the recipe, could you post it again?

This is the recipe that I always use when I'm making "real" red velvet cake (not from a mix). http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,196,150165-241207,00.html
It's the one my great grandma always used. The cooked buttercream icing is what makes it so awesome!

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 23 May 2008 , 11:07pm
post #6 of 21

RV is my fav cake. I make it with cream cheese frosting. I use the recipe from the Cupcake Throwdown with Bobby Flay that I got of the Food Network site. I think people either love it or hate it.

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 23 May 2008 , 11:19pm
post #7 of 21

OMG! it is one of those things that people either just hate or love.
I'm sorry to say, but I just love my red-velvet! icon_biggrin.gif
I make the one that has vinegar in it. Mine is very similar to Paula Deen's on the food network website.
I also make a purple velvet from the same recipe, it's awesome too! icon_confused.gificon_biggrin.gif

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 23 May 2008 , 11:30pm
post #8 of 21

I like the recipe that has oil in it. The one I like is the one I got from FoodNetwork, The Southern Red Velvet recipe.

I like it... icon_smile.gif

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 23 May 2008 , 11:33pm
post #9 of 21

I love RV, too, and practically everyone else I know that has tried it. There really is something just unique about the flavor. Either you know what that flavor is, or you don't. Either you like it, or you don't.
If you want to try another recipe, try the "Southern Red Velvet".

jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 23 May 2008 , 11:47pm
post #10 of 21

When I do Red Velvet, I use a Betty Crocker mix and just add a bitof lemon extract to it. The old fashioned recipes call for lemon extract and that adds a little more to the mix.

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 23 May 2008 , 11:56pm
post #11 of 21

i think the flavor is very unique. when someone asks what it taste like i say "its taste like red cake" hahaha

i do prefer one with oil, buttermilk, and vinegar

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 24 May 2008 , 12:09am
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer7777

I love RV, too, and practically everyone else I know that has tried it. There really is something just unique about the flavor. Either you know what that flavor is, or you don't. Either you like it, or you don't.
If you want to try another recipe, try the "Southern Red Velvet".

thumbsdown.gif yuck yuck yuck thumbsdown.gif

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 24 May 2008 , 3:59pm
post #13 of 21

try this one...it is from the a box!

Betty Crocker French Vanilla
Betty Crocker German Chocolate

3 extra large eggs
2.5 cups buttermilk
2 sticks butter
1/2 cup oil

add in the red food coloring

I am not a red velvet fan....it is not something I really like but my customers go banana's over it. I had a girl call the me other day describing a wedding she went to a year ago and it was a cake that was all red vlevet!

I do not bake from scratch so this one was giving to me by a terrific decorator and it works really well for me. I have done it in several wedding cakes and once requested as the consultation cake as it was his "favorite". They raved about it so I am guessing people who love red velvet will like this.[/code]

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 24 May 2008 , 4:11pm
post #14 of 21

As a rule, I don't like Red Velvet. But I had to make one for a friend a few months ago and used this one I found here. It was very very good. I was surprised at the moistness, up until I made it I've only had dry Red Velvet cakes!

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6961-Old-fashion-red-velvet-cake-with-flour-and-milk-frosting.html

SDL79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SDL79 Posted 24 May 2008 , 5:52pm
post #15 of 21

I was just wondering how long you baked this recipe for the "box" Red Velvet cake??? I'm guessing 350? How long? Thanks!

Denise Posted 24 May 2008 , 6:37pm
post #16 of 21

I bake all of my cakes at 350. For a 10" cake in my Magic Line 2" deep pans takes around 1 hour. I set my beeper for 45 minutes and watch them closely. It is very moist and very good even to someone who doesn't care for Red Velvet!

EmilyGrace Posted 26 May 2008 , 3:38am
post #17 of 21

Thanks for all your replies! I sent a few cupcakes with my mom to her work and most people liked them a few didn't care for them. I guess its just one of those flavors you like or you don't!

Denise, I was going to try a doctored red velvet but I can't find german chocolate cake mix here in Canada... I've seen swiss chocolate... do you think i could use that instead?

We don't seem to have the red velvet cake mix up here either. It's not a popular flavor here at all! My husband is taking me to the bakery tomorrow to try the red velvet cupcakes so i'll no tomorrow if I suck at baking or if I just don't like red velvet!

Denise Posted 26 May 2008 , 5:49am
post #18 of 21

Emily, I think the swiss would work...I think I have even used the triple chocolate but I think the lighter chocolates would work better.

I have used the DH red velvet...omgosh is was dry as a bone for me. Someone else may have had better luck with it than me so I am not saying it would be that way for you.

EmilyGrace Posted 26 May 2008 , 6:20am
post #19 of 21

Thanks Denise,
I'll have another look for german chocolate but if I can't find it i'll try the swiss.

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 26 May 2008 , 6:26am
post #20 of 21

I can't believe I didn't notice your name before! EmilyGrace. It's my daughter's name. Emily for my mother in law and Grace for my Grandmother!

EmilyGrace Posted 26 May 2008 , 6:35am
post #21 of 21

icon_smile.gif I've heard of a few Emily Grace's! It's a good name in my opinion! I wasn't named after anyone though, my mom just liked the name!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%