Ideas To Make Turrets Without The Wilton Kit

Decorating By aminaz Updated 23 May 2008 , 2:23pm by dandelion56602

aminaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aminaz Posted 23 May 2008 , 1:58pm
post #1 of 7

i want to make a castle cake for my niece, and i want to know how to make the turrets without being plastic like the wilton romantic castle kit? i want something edible so i hope someone has tried something and can advice me. i know to use ice cream cones on top but what about the actual turrets.

i also want to know how you can score brick lines on fondant without the impression mat.

6 replies
pamconn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamconn Posted 23 May 2008 , 2:02pm
post #2 of 7

Maybe rice Krispie treats?

jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 23 May 2008 , 2:03pm
post #3 of 7

I used wrapping paper tubes for the turrets on my castle. I have heard about ppl using rice krispie treats too. I would also like to hear ideas about the brick impression without the mat!

Dana0323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dana0323 Posted 23 May 2008 , 2:04pm
post #4 of 7

I used 2 cake cones stacked with the bottom cone upside down, and then placed a sugar cone upside down for the top pointy part. I also secured the bottom cones with a skewer. I was lucky since I didn't have to move the cake (it was at my house for my daughter's bday). It worked really well.

goal4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goal4me Posted 23 May 2008 , 2:13pm
post #5 of 7

Another way is to bake the small rounds for the turets in a soup can rather than a cake pan, take out of the can after baking....use a dense batter filling can 1/2 way, cool slightly and unmold from soup can. Carve out a 1/2 circle to inset the cake, then top with the ice cream cone cylinder upside down.
Use dowels or skewers as needed for support.

The flags gumpaste.
The brick impressions...what about freehanding using a dull pointy tool.
You may even be able to apply the mortor with this tool or use the flat ended toothpick to create the shape of the brick and apply the mortor by using food color gel at the same time!!!!

Let us see your picture when you're finished...
Have also seen individual size water bottles used for turets and topped with ice cream cones...but real food seems and looks better possibly...

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 23 May 2008 , 2:13pm
post #6 of 7

I use kiddie cones, one plain ole sugar cone in the correct position and then a waffle cone upside down on top... I usually dip the waffle cone in chocolate, the other is covered with BC... there is a pink castle in my gallery.. good luck!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 23 May 2008 , 2:23pm
post #7 of 7

Since the turrets have been covered...just use a really sharp knife to score the lines on the turrets. Every other row would need the vertical lines to be off center (in other words you wouldn't want all the vertical lines to line up for the entire height of the turret.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%