Beyond Frustrated...please Help!

Decorating By heatherlikesfood Updated 23 May 2008 , 4:46pm by heatherlikesfood

heatherlikesfood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heatherlikesfood Posted 23 May 2008 , 5:17am
post #1 of 8

So I have an order for a stacked gift box cake. I've done them in the past, but always in fondant. This time it's butter cream, and for the love, I cannot make a square cake look good with just BC!!!

I tried over and over again today, scraping, and re-doing, but it looks like crap! My edges are not square, my corners droop, what is my problem?

Any and all tips and suggestions are needed and greatly appreciated! Thanks! icon_sad.gif

7 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 23 May 2008 , 5:27am
post #2 of 8

Indydebi's illustrated secret/s for frosting a square cake in b/c:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-5396443-.html

HTH

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 23 May 2008 , 11:55am
post #3 of 8

Make sure each layer is completely level before starting.

Take a sewing gauge or ruler all around the perimeter of the cake to make sure the icing is exactly the same level all the way around.

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 23 May 2008 , 12:26pm
post #4 of 8

icon_surprised.gif I missed this lesson the first time.

Thank you so much for reposting!!

SHE MAKES IT LOOK SOOOOOO EASY !!! Doesn't she??? icon_smile.gif

THANKS!!! thumbs_up.gif

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 23 May 2008 , 1:03pm
post #5 of 8

I have yet to try a square cake, but I DO have the pans!!

Debi's pics are very helpful. Part of the secret to a good icing job is getting enough icing on initially, so you have enough to scrape off for the nice smooth finish. Someone said they do the corners when they do the top, so that you aren't trying to "make" your sharp corners when you do the sides. I'm going to try that because that makes perfect sense to me. Also I believe it's essential (for me anyway) to crumb coat before attempting to ice a cake. Oh, cake life is soo much simpler since I started to crumb coat everything and let it set before icing.

Some swear by the upside down icing method and get beautifully sharp corners and edges that way. I tried it one time and almost lost my 8" cake during the flipping stage, so I haven't tried it again.

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 23 May 2008 , 1:48pm
post #6 of 8

CarolAnn, I know exactly what you mean about almost losing a cake trying to do the upside down method. I tried it a couple of times and it just brought me to tears!!!! icon_cry.gif Corners have always been a stinker, and the on the top and sides corner get me sometimes too.

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 23 May 2008 , 2:13pm
post #7 of 8

It also helps to start out with a good quality pan that has sharp 90 degree corners. I use Magic Line pans only (except for the large odd squares that Magic Line does not carry, I have Fat Daddio's for those - have yet to try them).

The Wilton Performance pans have rounded edges and takes extra work to get those sharp corners.

Like others said...start with tons of icing, and scrape as needed. I always do a crumb coat as well, right after I fill my layers...and let them sit for several hours or overnight to allow the tiers to settle and the crumb coat is nice and crusted.

heatherlikesfood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heatherlikesfood Posted 23 May 2008 , 4:46pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for all your help, the pictures definitely help. I will try again today!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%