Cake Business From Home

Baking By mirandamolly Updated 23 May 2008 , 1:19am by mirandamolly

mirandamolly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mirandamolly Posted 22 May 2008 , 1:21pm
post #1 of 8

I want to start cake business from home. I have no knowledge how to get started. I am very artistic and creative. I am sure I can do this but need help to get started.

Molly

7 replies
rreed6263 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rreed6263 Posted 22 May 2008 , 1:32pm
post #2 of 8

What state are you in? There are different laws for each state.
There was a thread about this a while back. I'll see if I can find
it.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 22 May 2008 , 1:33pm
post #3 of 8

Look in the Cake Decorating Business section to find out what the licensing requirements are in your state. That's usually the best start.

tippyad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tippyad Posted 22 May 2008 , 1:34pm
post #4 of 8

Call your local health department or agricultural state government. Many states don't legally allow for home based businesses.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 22 May 2008 , 1:35pm
post #5 of 8

Hello Molly! Welcome to Cake Central. icon_smile.gif

The first step in starting your business from home is to call your state department of food service and find out if it is legal to have a home kitchen. Some states allow cakes intended for sale to the public to be prepared in a residential kitchen.. some states do not. If you live in a state that doesn't allow it.. you will have to find a way to make your cakes in a commercial kitchen by either building one or renting one.

Check out this link.. it has a list of allof the states and the information on most of them regarding their view on home bakeries. icon_smile.gif

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-586218-states.html+licence+license

Once you find out what route you have to take.. the rest is easy. icon_smile.gif

edited to add the link.. icon_redface.gif

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 22 May 2008 , 1:37pm
post #6 of 8

The first thing to do is search the articles here. There's a list of links to each state's Dept of Ag page, or whichever department oversees licensing (if needed) of home bakers.

The second thing would be to do a search for similar threads. There have been a number of them, all filled with incredibly helpful advice, tips, warnings, etc.

It will also depend a lot on your state and county. Some states don't even allow for cottage bakers. Some don't require much at all. I know in my state, unless you have pets, it's supposedly fairly easy to get licensed. If you have pets in the home, it's impossible. icon_razz.gif There are a lot of factors.

There are a number of wonderful professionals on this forum who will offer advice and experience. I've learned so very much in the year I've been on here!!! icon_smile.gif

Welcome to CC, and I hope that your business gets off to a great start! icon_smile.gif

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 22 May 2008 , 1:42pm
post #7 of 8

Some states allow you to sell to individuals but not to establishments like stores or restaurants for resale. Just check out your local regulations. You also need to be aware where you stand as far as advertising is concerned. I can't advertise. I'm word of mouth only.

mirandamolly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mirandamolly Posted 23 May 2008 , 1:19am
post #8 of 8

Thanks to you all who replied to my message.

Well, I live in Canada, Toronto and I was wondering if anyone who lived in Canada were doing this kind of business from home. Need your advise.

Please reply.....

Thank you,

Molly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%