Being A Newbie..i Wanted To Share Something Funny I Learned

Baking By spsjj Updated 25 May 2008 , 8:39pm by Homemade-Goodies

spsjj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spsjj Posted 22 May 2008 , 12:32pm
post #1 of 9

I made 75 musical note cookies for a dear friend who was in a musical play. She is 12. They all loved the cookies but everyone who ate them their mouth were black. I made them with with icing and sprinkled black sugar crystals on them. Lesson for the day..Becareful with Black icon_smile.gif

8 replies
darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 22 May 2008 , 1:03pm
post #2 of 9

Ha ha! I did that once my self, only instead of black, it was with green christmas cookies - and you are right it is a BIG lesson learned

SweetDreamsAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreamsAT Posted 22 May 2008 , 2:17pm
post #3 of 9

Was it the black icing, or the black sugar crystals, or both that colored their mouths?

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 22 May 2008 , 2:25pm
post #4 of 9

My son's first b-day cake was cars. Lots of black icing was used by the bakery, and all of the cops mouths turned black, to freakin funny!

Oh well, totally worth a black mouth for yummy cookies!

deanwithana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deanwithana Posted 22 May 2008 , 2:25pm
post #5 of 9

I have had this happen myself.......is there a solution to having this not happen????

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 22 May 2008 , 2:44pm
post #6 of 9

I did this one year with spider cupcakes for Halloween. All the kids in my son's Preschool class had black mouths, hands, and clothes. Needless to say, I was not the most popular parent that year...

kidscakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kidscakelady Posted 22 May 2008 , 2:55pm
post #7 of 9

I did that with dark purple Barney pops one year - not as funny as the black mouths but the panicked calls from a few parents the next day were... "What was in the pops you made, my kid's poop is neon green!!" Those dark colors change in the body and make for interesting outcomes the next day!!! haha

Live and learn and I always warn parents if I use a good amount of black or even dark blue or purple that they may see changes in the morning. Nothing to panic about.

As a nurse, we used to put blue coloring into tube feeds of patients on ventilators so that we could see if any was coming back up and the urine and BM's were always green.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 23 May 2008 , 1:44pm
post #8 of 9

I like to spray those dark colors instead of mix it in. You need to be careful not to brush the cake afterward, as the white will show through where you touched it, but no more colored mouths.

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 25 May 2008 , 8:39pm
post #9 of 9

Our reception cake was informal & untraditional, and had the cover of our wedding invitations detailed on a sheet cake. (I know that's danged tacky NOW, btw...) But, we were warned by the bakery about the use of black frosting, we might want remove that when serving. Instead, we thought it'd be funny to serve it to the kids at our reception...adults getting the un-black slices. But my sister beat even the kids to the cake table and got one of the black pieces and walked around with black teeth for a half hour!!! LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%