Help With Daughter's 9Th Bday Cake

Decorating By OhMyGoodies Updated 23 May 2008 , 2:17pm by OhMyGoodies

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 22 May 2008 , 3:48am
post #1 of 7

Ok well I showed my daughter the box from the Cakes N More stand and she picked a cake off the box. I went huntin online for the same pic so I could show my mother and could only find the one attached below... So I showed my daughter and she fell in love with this one and wants it done in purple icing, pink bow on top, black ribbon around the base, and pink flowers as in the photo... only thing we're changing is the icing color and the ribbon color icon_wink.gif

My question.... how do I go about making these flowers?!!?!?!?!? I know the bow is fondant and have a pretty good idea on how to make it, but I don't know how to do these baby flowers lol.

Also any advice on the bows is greatly appreciated as I've never worked with fondant and I've never made a bow lmao.

Thanks in advance everyone!
LL

6 replies
Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 22 May 2008 , 4:05am
post #2 of 7

Super pretty cake!

Here's a tutorial on the loopy bow for the top:

I'm not sure if the bow can be done in pure fondant?

http://www.cakecentral.com/article17-How-to-Make-a-Fondant-Loop-Bow.html

The flowers will be 50/50 gumpaste fondant mix made in advance, small flower cutter and a 'ball tool' or anything with a rounded end! pushed in the middle of the flower so the petals stand up and it looks like they've put a dragee in the middle which is a nice touch, just glue on with fondant mixed with a tiny bit of hot water to make a gluey paste and leave to dry, then place on cake when ready!

HTH's
Post a pic when your done! icon_smile.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 22 May 2008 , 11:30am
post #3 of 7

you could do that flower in any fashion I believe .. if you don't have a cutter for a five petal flower.. form a small ball of gp or fondant or mix... flatten and make 5 small snips around the ball and form the little petals using the ball tool... you can use dragees OR just use a small dot of ri icon_smile.gif

Beautiful cake!

OhMyGoodies Posted 22 May 2008 , 3:26pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks to both of you! I'm beginning to think she has way too much faith in mommy lmao. I'm not sure I can do those flowers. She did tell me she didn't have to have the flowers if I didn't have time to do them since they are so little lol.. So I guess we'll see how it turns out.

Anyone else that would like to chime in with some advice is welcome to do so icon_smile.gif

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 22 May 2008 , 8:07pm
post #5 of 7

As best I can tell, those are the same flowers I made for my daughter's Mickey Mouse cake (in photos). I used the smalled fondant cutter from Michaels (or Hobby lobby). It was a 5 petal fondant cutter. Once the shape was cut out, I put the flower on a foam square and used a ball tool to shape it. Super super easy.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 22 May 2008 , 8:19pm
post #6 of 7

you could always do a butter cream drop flower instead of fondant and put a dragee in the center.

Very beautiful cake, your daughter has good taste. She is very lucky to have a mom that is willing to try anything to please her.

Good luck. and don't forget to post a picture when done icon_smile.gif

OhMyGoodies Posted 23 May 2008 , 2:17pm
post #7 of 7

cupcakemkr she's spoiled rotten! lol that's all there is to it lmfao. She gets whatever she wants which is going to be bad the older she gets but right now when it gets mommy to experiment with new things it's all good icon_wink.gif

Bell, thanks for that info! I had planned on getting the flower cutters this weekend anyway because I need to get the daisy cutter for my own wedding cake for the following weekend lol. I'll have to look for those as well icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%