Help!! Leak!!!

Decorating By Jenna217 Updated 21 May 2008 , 6:19pm by radtech

Jenna217 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenna217 Posted 21 May 2008 , 12:41am
post #1 of 9

I'm doing my first filled cake tonight and I did a thin layer of BC on the bottom, made the 'dam' of BC and then filled with strawberry fillng and set the top layer on, finished frosting BC and now I'm springing leaks everywhere!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif How can I fix it?!

8 replies
KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 21 May 2008 , 12:56am
post #2 of 9

Ummm...I think at this point, the best thing would be to try to press down lightly with a cookie sheet and waxed paper, or something flat, on the cake. This will squish out the extra filling. Then re-ice.

BTW, I've read that filling should only be about 1/8 inch thick in between the layers. And not too runny. (Just trying to help, not meaning to judge or anything) How thick was the filling?

HTH

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 21 May 2008 , 12:57am
post #3 of 9

Well, it doesn't sound fun, but I would probably pull the layers apart, thicken up your buttercream (add more powdered sugar) and do the dam over again. Put the top layer back ontop... make sure you don't have too much filling in there!! icon_biggrin.gif HTH

ANicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANicole Posted 21 May 2008 , 1:00am
post #4 of 9

What is the texture of the filling? Maybe it is too thin and won't be contained in the dam? When you made your dam, did you use a bag with a coupler, only, and make a thick ring of BC around the cake?

I don't normally use a layer of BC on the bottom, but you can do that if it is a particularly thin or wet filling.

I'm just trying to help you pinpoint why this might have happened.

I think if I were you, I would scrape off everything, refrigerate the cakes for at least 20 minutes so whatever is still on there can firm up, then re-do the filling (maybe use less this time and try the above tricks). Do a thicker than average crumb coat, and let the crumb coat sit in the fridge for at least a half hour, then do your final frost.

Good luck!!

Jenna217 Posted 21 May 2008 , 1:04am
post #5 of 9

I took the cake apart, scraped the filling out, it was fresh sliced starwberries I cooked in 1/2 c of sugar so it had a thick syrup. I used a coupler to make a thick rig\g around the outside and let it set up. But anyways, I scraped it all out, mixed it with some BC, am going to make another ring and start over again. Yikes! Not a first good experience. Thanks for the quick replies! You guys are the best!!

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 21 May 2008 , 10:52am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna217

I took the cake apart, scraped the filling out, it was fresh sliced starwberries I cooked in 1/2 c of sugar so it had a thick syrup. I used a coupler to make a thick rig\g around the outside and let it set up. But anyways, I scraped it all out, mixed it with some BC, am going to make another ring and start over again. Yikes! Not a first good experience. Thanks for the quick replies! You guys are the best!!

Did you use any cornstarch, or gelatin as a thickener, or did you just reduce? I prefer cornstarch for a thickener. If you just reduced that's why it leaked. If your making a berry syrup. I like to take fresh berries, and freeze them. The freezing breaks down the cell structure of the the berry. It will give you a lot of juice when they thaw. Then I cook with the CS

Mike

Mizuki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mizuki Posted 21 May 2008 , 11:05am
post #7 of 9

I agree with Mike. Next time, try adding some cornstarch. It will thicken into a jelly consistency and it won't affect the taste.
Good Luck!!

thumbs_up.gif

Jenna217 Posted 21 May 2008 , 5:57pm
post #8 of 9

I used a recipe listed in the Recipe section from here at CC:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2206-1-Fresh-Strawberry-Filling.html

It's fabulous!!!! But I think that I must have messed it up somehow. It was still too runny. Live and learn...now I know for next time. The filling I scraped off and mixed with BC worked great. It stayed in place! icon_biggrin.gif

radtech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
radtech Posted 21 May 2008 , 6:19pm
post #9 of 9

I have used this fresh strawberry filling several times and it has done the same thing to me every time. The last time I scraped it off and mixed the BC and filling together (It still is still very good) The BC seems to bind it and it doesnt' run. I have added extra cornstarch and it still does the same thing. Hopefully this will help you. after I mixed the 2 together I had no more runny filling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%