Ka Pouring Shield - Useful Yes Or No

Decorating By Eileenscakes Updated 22 May 2008 , 2:43am by kjgjam22

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 21 May 2008 , 12:59pm
post #31 of 39

Never use mine. Like others say it makes a bigger mess. I find the spout is too narrow, and i have to work harder to pour my flour etc.into the bowl. I just pour my ingredients in wherever i can on the bowl and cover with a towel..much easier.

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 21 May 2008 , 1:02pm
post #32 of 39

I do have to add that the only time it came in handy was a few weeks ago e=when I decided to make a double batch of WASC in my 600 series KA. That shield was the only thing that kept it from overflowing! I had to hold it down! icon_lol.gif I don't recommend the double batch! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 21 May 2008 , 1:06pm
post #33 of 39

I use mine every time I make icing with all that powdered sugar. Sometimes it can be an annoyance if I get in too much of a hurry. I never used it until I started my cake decorating. I also use a towel to keep the dust down too. I don't think I would pay that much for one though. Maybe one of these nice ladies who don't use theirs will sell it to you for less. Hope this helps you make your decision. Have a great day.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 21 May 2008 , 1:07pm
post #34 of 39

I got mine with my 6qt and only used it twice. Couldn't wait to get it, then realized it's more of a pain. Just one more thing to wash........

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 21 May 2008 , 1:27pm
post #35 of 39

Mine also came with a shield and I also never use it!!!

sweetiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiemama Posted 21 May 2008 , 1:28pm
post #36 of 39

I usually use mine when adding flour. I don't necessarily use it to prevent the flour or sugar from flying up (as the towel does), but more to help pour in my flour or sugar slowly. I find it easier than lifting the machine up or trying to not spill when I am adding the powdered sugar or flour.

I don't think I would spend $30 though for it. HTH.

pinktea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinktea Posted 21 May 2008 , 1:31pm
post #37 of 39

I have 2. One was purchased about 9 years ago and it came in two pieces. PAIN IN THE BUTT!! I was kind of like a toy where you connected the two sides together and placed in on the rim of the bowl.

The second came with the new KA purchased last summer. One piece but still a little cumbersome. I agree, one more gadget to wash and keep up with.

I guess this would qualify as "one piece of equipment I regret purchasing"

Eileenscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eileenscakes Posted 21 May 2008 , 7:45pm
post #38 of 39

Thanks again all icon_biggrin.gif , I think I will go with the majority and not bother getting one! Unless of course I am in Houston any time soon Cakepro!!! A bit of a drive from Canada eh? icon_eek.gif !!!

Yummymummy - I made a double batch of the original WASC recipe in my 5q KA last night and had no problem at all...althought I was a little nervous at first, I thought it was coming out on the counter!!! this is the recipe I used for a 11 x 15 and 2 3" rounds:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-584319.html

You guys rock... thumbs_up.gif

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 22 May 2008 , 2:43am
post #39 of 39

to me they are more trouble than they are worth. makes more of a mess.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%