Luster Dust Help

Decorating By thems_my_kids Updated 20 May 2008 , 10:49pm by thems_my_kids

thems_my_kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thems_my_kids Posted 20 May 2008 , 6:38pm
post #1 of 8

I've seen cakes on this site that use luster dust. I can't get mine to look right. I made a wine bottle out of gumpaste and painted it an eggplant shade. Now i want to make the top look like the gold wrapper on some wine bottle. How do I use gold luster dust to achieve this? I thought you were to mix it with some alcohol and i tried that with lemon extract but the gold isn't very gold. I let some of the extract evaporate, but then the dust gets gooey. Any ideas?

7 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 8

Hi there, I use confectoner's glaze to do this. It gives a nice shine to it. When you mix the two together, you have to do it a little at time. Because the glaze evaporate really quickly. If you are going to use this glaze, make sure you buy the glaze cleaner as well. You need the cleaner to clean the paint brush you are using and keep that paint brush only for the cofectioner's glaze. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

thems_my_kids Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:50pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks! I've never heard of this. I'm not sure where i can get it or if it's too late. I need to have the cake done by Sat and I'll be gone all day Friday.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 20 May 2008 , 9:08pm
post #4 of 8

Sorry I don't know where you can buy this in US. Have you tried doing it with clear alcohol, like Vodka?

thems_my_kids Posted 20 May 2008 , 9:23pm
post #5 of 8

I kinda hate to buy that since this is all i'd use it for. i guess it doesn't really go bad. I just was wondering if there was something else i was doing wrong because the color just didn't seem to cover well.

kbgieger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbgieger Posted 20 May 2008 , 9:32pm
post #6 of 8

I'm not sure if you can get the gold to look right over a dark color like eggplant. I've done gold trim by using the super gold and vodka on plain white fondant/gumpaste.

You could get the gold candy foil wrappers and wrap it around the top of your bottle. That's what I did for the wine bottle I made awhile back.

Hope this helps!

Karen

thems_my_kids Posted 20 May 2008 , 9:33pm
post #7 of 8

I just found a recipe for this glaze. confec. sugar, corn syrup and water. Think I'll try it! Thanks!

thems_my_kids Posted 20 May 2008 , 10:49pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbgieger

I'm not sure if you can get the gold to look right over a dark color like eggplant. I've done gold trim by using the super gold and vodka on plain white fondant/gumpaste.

You could get the gold candy foil wrappers and wrap it around the top of your bottle. That's what I did for the wine bottle I made awhile back.

Hope this helps!

Karen

I left the foil part white so I could paint the gold dust on, so that's not the problem. I like the idea of gold candy wrappers! I'll use that as a back up! Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%