For Those Of You Who Have Used The Tool Candy Molds..

Decorating By mlwideman Updated 20 May 2008 , 10:13pm by mlwideman

mlwideman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlwideman Posted 20 May 2008 , 6:18pm
post #1 of 4

..How are you doing the two colors for the handle (I normally see people use red) and the silver part? I know people say they use the luster dust mixed with vodka or lemon extract. Are you melting red color candy melts for the handle and putting something in the mold to block it from flowing into the actual tool part until it sets and then using white melted candy melts for the tool part (afterwards painted with the luster dust)? If you are doing it with fondant, how do you make sure that it is a seamless transition (for example I bought black fondant for the handle that I will add some tylose and I have white gumpaste for the tool portion). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

3 replies
kakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedecorator Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:58pm
post #2 of 4

I don't like the look of "painting" the luster dust on, so I just dry brush it on.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 20 May 2008 , 9:08pm
post #3 of 4

For the handles, fill with a blob of colored chocolate and use a paintbrush to spread the color to every inch of the handle. Turn the mold over periodically to check how you're doing. This 'shell' of chocolate should be enough to cover, but not so thin that you can see through it. Place this in the frig for 5-6 minutes to set up. Don't leave it in too long or it will pop right out when you take the mold out of the frig.

Now, fill the remainder of the mold with GREY chocolate, including the hollowed out handle. So, the handle will be colored on the side that shows, grey with a colored outline when you look at it from the back.

I agree with kakedecorator... dry brush your silver dust on. Wait until your tools have come to room temperature and have rested for a few hours. This will prevent streaking and dark spots of luster dust.

If you're doing gumpaste tools, mold the whole tool with grey gumpaste, then wrap the handles with your colored gumpaste. If you're going to leave them 2-dimensional, you don't need to wrap all the way around.

The tools on this cake were made with chocolate:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=104841

mlwideman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlwideman Posted 20 May 2008 , 10:13pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you so much for responding. I really appreciate your insight. Diane, your cake is awesome!! You both have been a great help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%