Do You Outline Your Cookies?

Baking By Newatdecorating Updated 27 May 2008 , 7:28pm by GeminiRJ

Newatdecorating Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newatdecorating Posted 19 May 2008 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 18

I use RBC on my cookies and haven't done much outlining. Mainly because I haven't done it enough to be good at it. I see pictures of cookies that have been outlined and they really look great! That got me to wondering about how many people do that extra step.

17 replies
bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 19 May 2008 , 10:37pm
post #2 of 18

Do you mean outline and then flood?

I don't outline and then flood - I do it all in one step. But I do sometimes outline on top after it dries with a contrasting color.

Newatdecorating Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newatdecorating Posted 20 May 2008 , 1:01am
post #3 of 18

I'm not talking about outlining and flooding. I'm talking about doing the contrasting color to give it that added dimension.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 20 May 2008 , 5:39pm
post #4 of 18

For the most part, I like to outline my cookies. The 3D designs look a little more finished that way. But there are some cookies that look very nice and elegant without going to the extra work of outlining.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 20 May 2008 , 6:05pm
post #5 of 18

If I am doing hindreds then ..No!! If I am only doing a dozen or so I will outline!!!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 20 May 2008 , 6:15pm
post #6 of 18

I use fondant as my base and if the design needs it I will outline, but I try not to do it in a contrasting color, will use the same color for the RI as the fondant in order to not make the cookies so busy. I like simple designs.

bonniebakes Posted 20 May 2008 , 7:04pm
post #7 of 18

For me, it depends on the design (and my energy level). I like the way a really fine outline looks, but I have such trouble with a really small tip, that sometiems I don't bother for fear of messing up the cookies.

sallene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sallene Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:11pm
post #8 of 18

I generall always do a contrasting outline. There are a few times that I haven't, it depends on the cookie that I'm doing.

DeKoekjesfee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeKoekjesfee Posted 23 May 2008 , 6:24pm
post #9 of 18

I always outline. You can be far more creative and it looks more beautiful.

Lovemypups Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovemypups Posted 23 May 2008 , 8:54pm
post #10 of 18

We need a "sometimes" in the poll I think. icon_biggrin.gif Sometimes I use the same color as the flooding, sometimes I pipe on top and sometimes I use a contrasting color either before flooding or after. Some of our forumites do beautiful, perfect detailed work and I love looking at their stuff. Just takes tons of practice, a steady hand and talent doesn't hurt.

kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 24 May 2008 , 1:42am
post #11 of 18

i almost always add the extra detail lines. to me it just finishes off the piece. it hides my mistakes and really makes it come to life!

bgallay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bgallay Posted 24 May 2008 , 1:54am
post #12 of 18

I always do. it just finishes it for me.

GeminiRJ Posted 24 May 2008 , 4:06pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneadacookie

i almost always add the extra detail lines. to me it just finishes off the piece. it hides my mistakes and really makes it come to life!

Dawn, are you saying you make mistakes?! How can this be? Seriously, your cookies and those by yankeegal are the reason I started outlining my cookies. I never would've thought to do it before, or that it would make such a big difference in the final appearance of the cookie. I just wish it didn't take such a toll on my wrist.

kneadacookie Posted 24 May 2008 , 11:27pm
post #14 of 18

susan...you better hope i never fall off this pedestal you put me on...i'll break my neck. most people don't know of my mistakes(thank you). if you ask me...every cookie has several mistakes. i'm extremely over critical of my work. EXTREMELY!!!

GeminiRJ Posted 27 May 2008 , 11:57am
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneadacookie

susan...you better hope i never fall off this pedestal you put me on...i'll break my neck.

I just know a good cookie artist when I see one! There are a number of decorator's on this site that have impressed me from day one, and I have always enjoyed seeing your work.

kneadacookie Posted 27 May 2008 , 12:30pm
post #16 of 18

aaawww
icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

bonniebakes Posted 27 May 2008 , 7:07pm
post #17 of 18

I have some questions for those of you that do outline....
(I posted a similar new thread earlier today, but I thought maybe you'd see it here - sorry for the duplciate post).

I'm having a problem with outlining (which is why I don't do it often, even though I love the way it looks) - I'm using a tip 01 or 00, and the RI is thinned down to a nice consistency, but the tip gets clogged every cookie or two. It's very frustrating!!

What tip (if any) do you use?
Do you do anything to the icing (thin it, etc) before piping the outline part?
How do you keep the tip from getting clogged?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

GeminiRJ Posted 27 May 2008 , 7:28pm
post #18 of 18

I use a #1s tip and thickened glace icing to do my outlining. I've never tried it with royal. Perhaps the royal is setting too fast, causing the clogs. Could you add some glycerin, or would that keep it from hardening altogether? Sorry I'm not much help! I know how frustrating the clogs can be, as I do get them occasionally.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%