Wilton's New 10-Pc. Gum Paste Set

Decorating By LadyMike Updated 22 May 2008 , 11:28am by mellormom

LadyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMike Posted 21 May 2008 , 10:56pm
post #31 of 34

Wow! icon_eek.gif I didn't even know that you all had replied. Thanks again for all of your input. Let's see if I can get back to all of you.

shill - I understand what you're saying about the Wilton classes. I couldn't get enough info. I just wanted more, more, more!

BTW, I got those new flower formers too. icon_biggrin.gif And I'm going back after the two mats. They had them there when I bought the other items, but there was no coupon at the time. icon_confused.gif I really like the "graceful vines". The "floral fantasy" is nice too. I definitely want both. icon_biggrin.gif

Also, like playingwithsugar said. Those Sculpy items are not food safe. icon_sad.gif I still use mine once in a while, but not on anything that will be eaten. Just be careful. Isn't our CC family great?!?! They care about us and watch out for one another. thumbs_up.gif

ibmoser - I would love to have a class with Nicholas Lodge! Thanks for letting us know that he has that DVD. I'm definitely going to check that out especially if it's reasonable. Usually his stuff is a little expensive but with his talents, he can charge whatever he wants. Some day..... Sorry. icon_redface.gif I'm back in LA-LA land again. icon_cool.gificon_lol.gif

playingwithsugar - Thanks for looking out for us. It's definitely one of those things that we need to continue educating/informing/reminding our members of. icon_wink.gif See! Protecting our family! thumbs_up.gif

shill - You're so right! There are a lot of things we have to look out for, but none of us would ever want someone to get sick, etc., after eating one of our creations. icon_sad.gif

tonedna - You are so welcome! But you earned the praise. Wouldn't it be wonderful if Wilton would let us choose what we want to learn in their classes??? What a curriculum that would be!! icon_lol.gif

playingwithsugar - You know, I am really surprised that all of these new gadgets/goodies aren't splattered all over their website. icon_confused.gif We may want to explore that. detective.gif Remember when they did the cupcake things? icon_confused.gif They had another site just for cupcakes..... icon_rolleyes.gif

Texas_Rose - That's really nice to hear - you're using them and liking them! icon_wink.gif
Hey, take a look in the gallery at her flowers (& cakes too if you wish). She's good. thumbs_up.gif BTW, thank you TexSug for posting a picture of the tools. The flowers you are working on in it are beautiful too. icon_smile.gif

tonedna - You're right Edna. The bright and cheery colors of the tools in a very nice case with beautiful flowers on the front of the packaging really catches the eye. Then you turn it over and on the back of the package are the names of each color-coded tool, along with their uses. And one of these days, I guess I'll be smart enough to figure out what exactly they do to what. dunce.gif

Texas_Rose - OMGoodness! I hope they kept it! If not, I'm sure we can find a way to scan the back of one of ours and then we can email it to you. Let us know if you need it. We'll fix you right up! thumbs_up.gif

playingwithsugar - I had the ball tool out and the ball part does seem to have a roughness to both of the ends. It may just be mine, but you might want to keep the old receipt handy in case it's not going to work for you. icon_sad.gif I'm not sure if you could smooth that some way.

BTW, each end of the tools has a number on it. Even the Palette knife and the modeling sticks have a number on each of them. I don't know if that means anything to anyone or not. icon_confused.gif Just thought I'd mention it.

aswartzw - You go girl!

amia1024 - Thanks for the picture and for letting us know about coupons! thumbs_up.gif It'll be great to get these even cheaper. I'm going after my mats soon also. And, you're not cheap. You're, well... frugal. icon_wink.gif

nefgaby - I'm glad some of the others have already answered your question about the yearbook because I was wondering that myself. It's almost like Christmas with all these new toys and everything. icon_lol.gif

tonedna - Surely they would put all the toys in the yearbook, wouldn't they? icon_confused.gif Although, one of the clerks said that this may be a trial thing. They may be putting some things out there to see how well the customers respond to them. icon_confused.gif

alanahodgson - Like I said earlier, the ball tools seem to be a little rough. I haven't used them so I hope maybe Texas_Sugar can answer that better than I. icon_redface.gif She has already been working on roses with hers and they look great in the picture. Maybe she'll have a better insight. icon_rolleyes.gif
I can tell you that the shell tool and knife, and the serrated quilting wheel and cutting wheel are very sharp; especially the serrated quilting wheel! OUCH! ouch.gif

tonedna - I think I'm going to like them as well. I think it's a pretty nice set. I think I may still splurge on a metal ball tool, but I haven't even used this one yet so it's hard to say. I'm going to see if my DH can smooth it some way. icon_rolleyes.gif

TexasSugar - Thanks for letting us know when to watch for the yearbooks. icon_smile.gif

superstar - I was wondering if one could use the very fine sandpaper. Thank you for confirming. icon_smile.gif
Hopefully, the new owners/CEO's/COO's of Wilton will listen to what the masses have to say and they'll "fix what's broke" or what tastes awful. icon_razz.gif If you ever get any more of those little tidbits of info, please let us know. I promise I won't tell anybody about your "gift". tapedshut.gifshhh.gif Thanks again for the info. icon_wink.gif

CarolynGwen - Thanks for the tease. icon_wink.gif I've already been through all of the classes offered by Michaels/Wilton, but maybe I need a brush up if the price/gift is right. icon_confused.gif I already have all of the tools/books. I just need to pay for the class. icon_rolleyes.gif So, we can probably bust you out of the Wilton jail if you can supply us with the info we're looking for. icon_twisted.gif Are you ready to talk yet????? Or, is the jury still out? judge.gif

nefgaby - Did you get it??? icon_lol.gif Do you like it??? icon_lol.gif

thecakebox - Wow! Are you sure it's not going to be the Wilton Fondant/gumpaste class? Do you happen to know if the class is sponsored by Wilton?
At one time, when all those rumors were going around, some people thought that the Wilton Gumpaste Flower kit (with the green plastic cutters, etc.) was the book, etc., that the WMI's were going to use in the new F/GP classes. icon_confused.gif As a matter of fact, one of the women came to class with that kit because the the clerk at Michaels told her that it was the one to buy for that class. icon_eek.gif
Will you please find out and let us know? If Wilton is sponsoring it, I want to find out if and when they are going to offer it here. icon_wink.gif Maybe we can take it in July, and get the free gift that someone leaked that you'll get if you take one of the classes then. icon_rolleyes.gif CarolynGwen, are you ready to be busted out yet??? icon_twisted.gif

diane626 - It's nice to know that someone who does not only flowers, but also those cute little figures, really likes the tools. And that was really nice of you to give your mom a set too. princess.gif I'll bet it's fun to share your love of decorating with her. icon_biggrin.gif Thanks for sharing. icon_wink.gif

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 21 May 2008 , 11:37pm
post #32 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyMike

amia1024 - Thanks for the picture and for letting us know about coupons! thumbs_up.gif It'll be great to get these even cheaper. I'm going after my mats soon also. And, you're not cheap. You're, well... frugal. icon_wink.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif That's a nice way of putting it.

thecakebox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakebox Posted 22 May 2008 , 5:15am
post #33 of 34

Lady Mike-
No its not the Fondant/Gumpaste class, I was taking that class when I found out about it (I also saw the flowers they were learning and they are definately from the set with the green cutters) and my WMI is now taking the new class to learn it. I am assuming it is a wilton sponsored class since our Michaels at least is no longer teaching any classes but Wiltons.

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 22 May 2008 , 11:28am
post #34 of 34

Not all Michaels are offering that gumpaste flower class. The one near me actually cut all classes but cake and were not planning to add any new classes
for cake.
That set looks awesome! Can't wait to buy it! Ac Moore sends coupons via e-mail and you can print as many as you want. (in case you didn't know) We have both stores here. (Michaels is within walking distance. icon_eek.gif not good for the wallet. icon_smile.gif )
Thanks for the info on the set.
Jen...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%