Cake Frustration Today

Decorating By beachcakes Updated 18 May 2008 , 6:19am by Kavingate

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 18 May 2008 , 2:09am
post #1 of 2

Today has got to go down in the books as my worst caking day ever! Got a request for a carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. Having never done either, I used a few recipes from here.

First, the batter for the cake was so thick and it wouldn't fill the pans. I emptied the pans into a large bowl and added box of vanilla cake and mixed it all. It took forever to grate 6 c. of carrots! Then the cake was too crumbly with all the carrots in it. grrr. It took 5 boxes of mix to make a two layer stacked 12 - 6.

Then for the cream cheese frosting...My CC still had little lumps in it after I beat it, even though I added hot liquid. I tried to torch the bowl but that didn't work very well. Then I realized I forgot to add the shortening and added it at the end. It tasted amazing! But it was very soft, I think I added too much liquid. I iced the cake in it and the sides slid right off! It's not hot here, maybe 65 today, and the cake's been in the fridge.

I ended up making a batch of my regular crusting icing and mixed the two. I scraped all the icing off the cake and started again. For the life of me, I couldn't get it iced evenly - it looks like a little kid did it!! :'( Every time i got a spatula near it, it ripped all the icing off. Finally, I pulled out that large icer tip that I don't like and used that. Still couldn't smooth it very well, but it had started to crust and was like elephant skin. The more I tried to fix it, the worse it got.

I've spent about 8 hours already on this fricking cake. I used 8 lbs of powdered sugar and five mixes today for one cake!! Now I'm going to bed b/c I don't want to look at it anymore today!!!

1 reply
Kavingate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kavingate Posted 18 May 2008 , 6:19am
post #2 of 2

Not that I'm glad that this happened to you, but it sure makes me feel better that I'm not the only one who has days like this! I just had a decorating disaster that would take The Great American Novel to explain, but it had a happy-ish ending.

Tomorrow is another day! (Thank goodness!!!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%