Buttermilk - Substitution? When I Already Used Some?

Decorating By imartsy Updated 18 May 2008 , 1:15am by wgoat5

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 17 May 2008 , 8:00pm
post #1 of 8

Any way I can avoid going to the grocery? I have almost enough buttermilk - I'm sort half a cup. Can I use 2% or whole milk to make up the 1/2 cup I'm missing? Or would that just ruin it all?

7 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 17 May 2008 , 8:26pm
post #2 of 8

I'd say if the 1/2 c. missing is 1/3rd or less than the total, then I'd just put in the 2% milk. If the 1/2c. missing is 1/2 the total (or more), then I think I'd try one of the solutions suggested on the website below:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/Buttermilk.htm

HTH
Rae

Antgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Antgirl Posted 18 May 2008 , 12:33am
post #3 of 8

For each cup of buttermilk needed, put 1 T of lemon juice into a measuring cup and add enough whole milk to make 1 c. Let stand 5 minutes before using. I have done this many times and it works like a charm.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 18 May 2008 , 12:43am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antgirl

For each cup of buttermilk needed, put 1 T of lemon juice into a measuring cup and add enough whole milk to make 1 c. Let stand 5 minutes before using. I have done this many times and it works like a charm.

or white vinegar thumbs_up.gif

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 18 May 2008 , 12:57am
post #5 of 8

You know I NEVER use cultured buttermilk. Just the lemon juice/vinegar and milk mix. I've used 2% without a problem, but, I'm sure whole milk would make it much better.

Beth in KY

wgoat5 Posted 18 May 2008 , 1:02am
post #6 of 8

I never buy buttermilk YUCK....I only use it for baking.. but I can tell you this.. I only use buttermilk when it says buttermilk only because it makes the cake so much better.. but that is just my opinion icon_smile.gif

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 18 May 2008 , 1:13am
post #7 of 8

It's that HIGH FAT content and since you are from Kentucky....THAT would explain why you like to use it in baking! LOL It's a SOUTHERN thang!

Beth in WESTERN Ky

wgoat5 Posted 18 May 2008 , 1:15am
post #8 of 8

Yes ma'am it must be LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%