Pricing Question.. I Don't Usually Do This But I Need Help

Decorating By wgoat5 Updated 20 May 2008 , 2:37pm by gateauxdamour

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 17 May 2008 , 9:15am
post #1 of 14

I had a lady call the day before yesterday.. placed or tried to place 3 orders for different days with me (I couldn't accept one). The order I was confused about was the wedding order. The wedding isn't until August. She doesn't want a tasting. She has already had the flavor she wants for me and says she will get back with me about the design. But more then likely let me do whatever given the color scheme. It's only for 75 ... She then asked me if I did tuxedo strawberries. I do chocolate covered strawberries but I haven't done these for the order all by themselves. I gave her a price for the wedding but I told her I'd have to price the strawberries closer to the date of the venue due to prices of strawberries changing AND the fact that I have to buy them so last minute.

My ?? is... What do you charge per decorated strawberry? She wants the tuxedo strawberries and wedding dress strawberries. Enough for 75.

Thanks a million and sorry about the pricing ??

Have a wonderful day CC!!!

13 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 17 May 2008 , 1:22pm
post #2 of 14

I don't do the strawberries. but I do remember Indydebi talking about it and I think I have seen it on her website. I would check there and see approximately what she charges this time of year.

I don't remember for sure, but I think she bases her pricing off of the winter prices (when they are the most expensive) that way she doesn't have to keep updating her price.

Hopefully she and others will see this and can help more than I did though.

wgoat5 Posted 17 May 2008 , 1:32pm
post #3 of 14

you helped tremendously Leily icon_smile.gif thank you !!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 May 2008 , 2:23pm
post #4 of 14

leily is right .... I price them worst-price-scenario. And my pricing is based on plain 'ole dipped berries .... if I could do tux berries, I'd charge more because of the extra work and talent involved.

wgoat5 Posted 17 May 2008 , 10:11pm
post #5 of 14

Thank you Deb!!!!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 17 May 2008 , 11:06pm
post #6 of 14

no less than $4 each.. icon_biggrin.gif

wgoat5 Posted 17 May 2008 , 11:08pm
post #7 of 14

LOL I'll be lucky to get 2.00 probably .. hmmm help me here 2 x 100.00 = probably for me 50.00!!!! LOL

indydebi Posted 17 May 2008 , 11:12pm
post #8 of 14

Dont' forget when you're doing berries, you have to buy about twice as many as you need so you can be assured of getting 75 good ones. I probably reject about 1/3 of the ones in a Sam's container. The ones I get from Sysco are a better quality, so I dont' scrap as many of them.

wgoat5 Posted 17 May 2008 , 11:24pm
post #9 of 14

Debbi I understand.. I did some for a graduation this week... I bought 5 container and probaby used 3 1/2 ... And they smell so sweet so they aren't lasting long at all.. But they make a GREAT snack icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Posted 17 May 2008 , 11:28pm
post #10 of 14

They are my 15 year old's favorite snack ... so she's always hovering around on strawberry day looking for "bad" ones in the container for me. Geesh, I'm gonna go broke if she keeps "helping" me! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

wgoat5 Posted 17 May 2008 , 11:30pm
post #11 of 14

Do I need parchment triangles to do the intricate buttons and bowties for these or will a small piping bag be sufficient?

I know... My DH hovers so much that he gained about 15 pounds in 3 weeks icon_rolleyes.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 18 May 2008 , 3:26pm
post #12 of 14

Woman.. if you do them for $2 a piece I will fly out there and bitch slap you myself.. you hear me?

(and for anyone looking in thinking OMG how could she say that to her.. Christi's my girl.. she knows I love her and have her best interests at heart)

Do you realize how much work you will be doing.. and all the night before/morning of the event date?? It's tedious.. and getting chocolate to behave for decorations is not fun if you aren't used to doing it.

remember.. bitch slap.. icon_wink.gif

wgoat5 Posted 18 May 2008 , 3:30pm
post #13 of 14

LMAO ... Jeanne.. You scare me girl LMAO

Ok.. 4.00 a piece then for all of the work.. and for all the extra strawberries that I will screw up.. is that what you are saying? LOL I see how ya are

I love ya!!!

gateauxdamour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateauxdamour Posted 20 May 2008 , 2:37pm
post #14 of 14

I like using the end of a shortie bamboo skewer for the buttons on the groom and pearls on the bride. That way I can just have my little pots of warm chocolate and dip into them when making the dots. Constantly filling the little bags and holding that warm chocolate in my hand is just not my thing!

As for price, I've never charged enough for those little suckers! I love doing them (business partner thinks I'm nuts!) but they are last minute and a fair amount of effort. I say get whatever price you can within reason, they are definitely worth it! I can decorate a wedding cake AND clean the kitchen in less time than it takes to decorate those cuties!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%