Chocolate Crumbs Are Like

Decorating By karateka Updated 17 May 2008 , 4:44pm by karateka

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 17 May 2008 , 2:54am
post #1 of 7

Gray hairs. Get rid of one and seven more pop up in it's place.

This damn chocolate half sheet I'm trying to decorate is driving me NERTZ! The crumbs somehow are like flypaper, attatching themselves to my Viva towel. I look at it, it appears crumb free, and I use it to smooth my icing. But when I remove the towel....MORE CRUMBS!

I have a choice between throwing in my spatula or using it to commit hari kari. icon_mad.gif

6 replies
KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 17 May 2008 , 5:32am
post #2 of 7

Relax.......breathe.......... go do some San Chin Kata.....come back....somebody will likely have some tips for you. (sorry, I don't know how else to help!)

icon_razz.gif

HTH

PS. My loving Goju guy (DH) would like to know what the Kanji means in your avatar, if you don't mind my asking.

karateka Posted 17 May 2008 , 12:21pm
post #3 of 7

Hi there KrisD-

The kanji stands for "Karate Do". How cool that your DH studies Goju...we are Shito Ryu and actually do some Goju katas in our system.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 17 May 2008 , 12:28pm
post #4 of 7

I would say, make that layer of icing your crumb coat, get it fairly thin and as smooth as you can, let it sit and crust a little, then add another layer, the crumbs should not be such a problem then.

Michele25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele25 Posted 17 May 2008 , 12:41pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by karateka

Chocolate crumbs are like...Gray hairs. Get rid of one and seven more pop up in it's place.

...ain't that the truth!!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_lol.gif

I just started a thread yesterday asking for advice working with and icing chocolate cake because I often have the same problems! Some great tips were offered!

Here's the link to the thread. Hang in there!! icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-5933283-.html#5933283

hwnhulahands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hwnhulahands Posted 17 May 2008 , 12:47pm
post #6 of 7

that's why I hardly make chocolate cake!!!!!

karateka Posted 17 May 2008 , 4:44pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by veejaytx

I would say, make that layer of icing your crumb coat, get it fairly thin and as smooth as you can, let it sit and crust a little, then add another layer, the crumbs should not be such a problem then.

Oh, I had already done that. This was the final coat. No matter what, chocolate crumbs came to be attatched to my viva towel my static electricity or some other super secret voodoo method, even though I had carefully wiped down my table and every other crumb I could see. Every time I smoothed the frosting I'd find an area that had fresh crumbs. I wanted to cry. Or hurt something.

I ended up using a new towel every single time I had to change it's position. And my icing still isn't smooth, mainly on the sides of the cake!! I eventually gave up so I wouldn't hurt myself. I'll find a way to decorate them or write something over them. It just wasn't worth my sanity!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%