Question For Wilton Instructors

Decorating By CakesbyBecca Updated 18 May 2008 , 6:26pm by TexasSugar

CakesbyBecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyBecca Posted 16 May 2008 , 8:45pm
post #1 of 4

I am currently almost done with Wilton Course 2. Next week is the finale. I'm very interested in becoming a Wilton instructor and was wondering if you could give me some advice on what I would need to do to get "good enough". My instructor told me last night that if I practiced a lot, within a year I should be able to teach. In June I will be taking Course 3 and in July I will be taking the fondant and gum paste course.
I know it's hard to advise because you haven't seen my work and I obviously cannot offer an unbiased opinion as to how good (or not) I am. I'm honestly not sure myself. I know I "get" this, but I do struggle with certain things (darned daisy icon_mad.gif ). If I apply myself and research and practice, I do finally get it. So, without knowing me personally, is there anything you can advise me to do to become qualified to be a WI? Also, when will I know if I'm ready?
TIA for your help.

Becca

3 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 16 May 2008 , 10:01pm
post #2 of 4

Personally I don't think there is a certain amount of time to take before you become an WMI. It varies for everyone. I do think it is good to take time and practice so that you can do the techinques with out thinking about them.

Something that is important is that not only can you do what you will be teaching but help trouble shoot when students are doing something wrong. Yes as a WMI I show my students how to do the things correctly, but I'd say 50-70% of the time is showing them how they are doing it 'wrong' and how to fix that.

There are alot of things that go into teaching. I would search the board and read some past posts on the subjects of being a Wilton Method Instructor.

If you have any questions, fell free to message me.

CakesbyBecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyBecca Posted 18 May 2008 , 6:24am
post #3 of 4

Thanks! I thought about your advice yesterday as I struggled and struggled with the Wilton Daisy, only to figure it out within five minutes when dh watched me do it and pointed out what I was doing wrong. It's amazing how much it helps to know what I'm doing wrong and not just how to do it.

Becca

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 May 2008 , 6:26pm
post #4 of 4

I always tell my students that when you know what you are doing 'wrong' you are aware of the 'right' way. If you never see you are doing it 'wrong' you can't fix it.

And I use the terms right and wrong loosely because I don't really see it as a right/wrong way. icon_smile.gif Different things work differently for different people.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%