Well, That Would Explain It.

Decorating By brendaonline Updated 21 May 2008 , 2:30am by ANicole

brendaonline Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brendaonline Posted 14 May 2008 , 11:53pm
post #1 of 4

A couple weeks ago I threw together a box angel food and doctored it a bit with orange juice. I popped it in the lower oven (I have a Gemini -- 'toaster oven' on the top, full size below, smooth top range) and set the time. It seemed to take a little longer to cook than called for, but things always do.

I took it out, admired the nice golden color, enjoyed the smell, propped it up, and went back to it to remove some time later.

The entire pan had an outer cooked crust, the interior was still liquid, and the whole mess collapsed.

After ranting for a while about being descended from a long line of bad cooks and why bother to ever try anything, I realized that since it's just spouse and myself I have perhaps used the lower oven a dozen times in the past 5 years, and that things never seemed to turn out in the lower oven. The top oven is a bit slow, but the bottom oven is impossible .

So off I went to get an oven thermometer.

Result: Top oven up to 30 degrees low. Lower oven always between 60 and 100 degrees low.

[facepalm]

3 replies
TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 15 May 2008 , 12:40am
post #2 of 4

I'm sorry your cake didn't cook in the middle! At least you figured out the reason and can compensate next time.

Now I'd really love to have a slice of orange angel cake!

Deanna

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 15 May 2008 , 1:06am
post #3 of 4

Ugh!! That stinks! At least you figured it out!

ANicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANicole Posted 21 May 2008 , 2:30am
post #4 of 4

I really need to go out and get one myself! Why does it seem like our equipment is out to sabotage us sometimes?!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%