Need A Good Frosting For A Child's Birthday.

Baking By Sonia08 Updated 20 May 2008 , 8:06pm by awolf24

Sonia08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sonia08 Posted 14 May 2008 , 10:41pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone!
I'm looking for a frosting, something yummy that kids will love. But we live in Austin Texas, so it must be a frosting that can stand to heat, something that will have a nice smooth look. I'm thinking of baking a chocolate cake with a cookies and cream filling. Any suggestions ladies? I'd really appreciate any help.

7 replies
dominique26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dominique26 Posted 15 May 2008 , 2:02am
post #2 of 8

I usually use the Buttercream Dream recipe from this site for all my children's cakes. I live in Phoenix, and I haven't had any problems with it during the summer. It doesn't have to be refrigerated either.
Here is the link to the recipe:
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2123-Buttercream-Dream.html

I'm actually making my son's kindergarten graduation cake tomorrow and it will be a chocolate cake, cookies and cream filling and buttercream dream icing.

HTH icon_smile.gif

Sonia08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sonia08 Posted 15 May 2008 , 1:08pm
post #3 of 8

Thank you so much Dominique!!
I will use that recipe. Good luck with your son's cake. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominique26

I usually use the Buttercream Dream recipe from this site for all my children's cakes. I live in Phoenix, and I haven't had any problems with it during the summer. It doesn't have to be refrigerated either.
Here is the link to the recipe:
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2123-Buttercream-Dream.html

I'm actually making my son's kindergarten graduation cake tomorrow and it will be a chocolate cake, cookies and cream filling and buttercream dream icing.

HTH icon_smile.gif

icon_biggrin.gif

mom2allboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2allboys Posted 19 May 2008 , 11:24pm
post #4 of 8

I've only made the Wilton class buttercream with no dairy. So I have a question.

Even though the Buttercream Dream recipe has milk I still don't have to refrigerate it?

I've been on here today looking for ways to add oreos to my sons birthday cake this friday. I think I'm going to add oreos to the buttercream I use to fill the cake. Much easier than making the oreo filling. But, I'm interested in learning a new Buttercream recipe.

dominique26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dominique26 Posted 20 May 2008 , 12:44am
post #5 of 8

Even with the milk you don't have to refrigerate Buttercream Dream. It has to do with the sugar and fat ratio.

I substitute Sweetex for the shortening which means I add about 3/4 cup instead of the full cup it calls for. I used to use Crisco, but they made it zero trans fat, and it doesn't work the same.

When I make cookies and cream filling, I just crush up Oreo's and add them to the buttercream. It looks like cookies and cream ice cream and tastes delicious! thumbs_up.gif

mom2allboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2allboys Posted 20 May 2008 , 7:59pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominique26

Even with the milk you don't have to refrigerate Buttercream Dream. It has to do with the sugar and fat ratio.

I substitute Sweetex for the shortening which means I add about 3/4 cup instead of the full cup it calls for. I used to use Crisco, but they made it zero trans fat, and it doesn't work the same.

When I make cookies and cream filling, I just crush up Oreo's and add them to the buttercream. It looks like cookies and cream ice cream and tastes delicious! thumbs_up.gif

Does this frosting crust? Will I be able to make stars and a shell border? I'm sorry if my questions are dumb but I am so new to cake decorating. I'm making a birthday cake for my son Friday and would like to use this recipe. I'm doing a 9x13 double layer cake with a Fox logo using stars.

Thanks.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:03pm
post #7 of 8

Indydebi's BC recipe is also very good and crust like a dream.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:06pm
post #8 of 8

This is the standard BC that I use all the time. Crusts great and kids love it. Very stable - great for piping.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1948-Butter-Cream-with-real-butter-for-decorators.html

My personal favorite is Shirley's IMBC, but that isn't as kid friendly. Kids tend to love the super sweet stuff.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%