Help Please--Which Class

Decorating By mkolmar Updated 16 May 2008 , 4:00pm by ncdessertdiva

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 14 May 2008 , 9:21pm
post #1 of 10

I have just under $2000 in scholarship money and am lost when it comes to looking for classes to take (the classes need to be only for a few days since I have a family). My goal is to become a pastry culinary educator but I have a LONG way to go. Anyone have any advice on classes that I should take to reach this goal?

9 replies
roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 15 May 2008 , 4:56am
post #2 of 10

Im not sure if you want to take cake decorating classes but i just took a class at Cal Java in Northridge, CA and i really enjoyed the class. They took very good care of all the students and even prepared meals for use and it was really yummy. the class fee included the hotel room. the class was 3 days long and they provided all the supplies

www.caljavaonline.com

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 15 May 2008 , 9:08am
post #3 of 10

Oh My your right that is a long road ahead. Wish you the best. Check with http://www.acfchefs.org/. Where are you in your education, Pastry classes? Check your comm college. For 2000 you can get a couple of semesters. Where are you located? Make sure the school you go to is ACF certified.

Mike

mkolmar Posted 15 May 2008 , 3:55pm
post #4 of 10

I actually just graduated from culinary arts school earlier this month. The scholarship money came from the ACF (maumee valley chef's) chapter I belong too. My degree is in general culinary arts, now I'm trying to focus on the pastry end. I'll be hopefully taking my certification test for the ACF within the next 2 years. (the school I went to lost their ACF certification when the ACF changed the rules last year for a school to be certified.) I mainly want to try to focus on learning pastries right now, including cake decorating. I was offered a substitute job teaching pastry at a wonderful vocational school by a fellow chef of the ACF chapter I belong to, but I feel I'm not ready yet and need more classes and experience. I'm really interested in all things pastry except for the show pieces end of things right now.

I am located in southern MI, but am willing to travel if it's possible money wise.

Mike1394 Posted 15 May 2008 , 6:04pm
post #5 of 10

Oh cool I'm on the East side. Here check out this link. http://www.konditorforum.dk/opskrifter/worldpastryforum/

Don't get mad at me if you are reading for hours icon_biggrin.gif

I would check out the Chicago school of pastry. I don't know what the tution is, but it's close to what your at.

Mike

mkolmar Posted 15 May 2008 , 8:26pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks Roxxxy loves duff and Mike1394
Mike--thanks for the book to read icon_lol.gif . I'm getting ready to go to work but once I'm home I'll save the info and look it completely over.

The info on the World Pastry Forum comes in handy actually since this morning I decided that I will be making the drive down to TN and taking the cake decorating class there with Nicholas Lodge and Collette Peters. The class is $2,000 for 5 days hands on learning. I saw the info a few days ago and just couldn't decide if this should be the class for me. I need a lot of help with cakes so it will work out fine. I just now need to plan on driving down there and finding a cheaper hotel to stay in.

Mike1394 Posted 16 May 2008 , 11:26am
post #7 of 10

A was a lil jealous that ya already graduated. Now I'm A LOT jealous. The WPF is in August. Don't tell me your going to be there at the same time also. LOLOL I'll be icon_cry.gif for a week.

Good luck sounds great

Mike

mkolmar Posted 16 May 2008 , 1:29pm
post #8 of 10

Start crying Mike. icon_lol.gif I'll be there, I'm planning on paying the holding fee for the class today.

Mike1394 Posted 16 May 2008 , 1:39pm
post #9 of 10

Sobbing like a baby in the fetal position. icon_lol.gif That's awesome congrats icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

ncdessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncdessertdiva Posted 16 May 2008 , 4:00pm
post #10 of 10

Congrats! I envy you, pastry is my love as well.
Leslie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%