Need Help For Friday's Cakes

Decorating By momtofourmonkeys Updated 15 May 2008 , 2:13pm by momtofourmonkeys

momtofourmonkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtofourmonkeys Posted 14 May 2008 , 9:07pm
post #1 of 9

This is my first post and I am still a "learning the ropes" hobbiest with cakes. I have always done my kids cakes and wanted to learn to do more exciting features but didn't know where to start until I found this website.

I have been searching for an answer to my question but keep getting lost in all the posts and comments that are excellent ideas. This board is so addicting and I don't have time to spend hours searching as my deadline is approaching and I keep getting side tracked.

This Friday we are having a birthday party for my two oldest- they will be 8 and 6 and like always I will be doing their cakes. One wants a football on grass cake and the other a camo hunting and fishing cake. Both will be two layers. I have always done cakes the night before and stayed up all night doing them (then stored in Tupperware cake holders or something similar) or have done them the day of the parties, but with two more elaborate cakes this time, I don't want to wait until Friday to decorate them so I need an idea of a time line. If I take them out of the freezer on Thursday morning and ice and decorate that day will they be okay for Friday night if they won't be stored in a fridge? I don't have room for two cakes that size except for on my countertops. And, if I keep them on my counters, do I need to cover them with something or will they be fine as is. Oh, the icing is bc and the cakes are WASC.

Thanks for any help.

Shanna

8 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 14 May 2008 , 9:35pm
post #2 of 9

Hi Shanna, if its bc, I don't think you need to put it in the fridge. The other thing is, as I'm from UK, I don't know what's the whether like over there. Hope someone can help you with that. icon_smile.gif

momtofourmonkeys Posted 14 May 2008 , 10:33pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks bashini.

My house is airconditioned and the weather outside it hot and humid. Would that matter? Also, do I need to keep them covered while on the counter top?

momtofourmonkeys Posted 14 May 2008 , 11:51pm
post #4 of 9

I have another question. I didn't get a chance to crumb coat before freezing. Should I do this before the cakes completely thaw or thaw them out first and then do it?

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 15 May 2008 , 1:19am
post #5 of 9

I like to crumbcoat when the cakes are very cold but not frozen. You may have moisture issues if you ice the frozen cake, or you may not. I think as long as you have air co. the cakes will be fine on the counter.

momtofourmonkeys Posted 15 May 2008 , 1:09pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks, akgirl10.

I am going to take them out of the freezer this morning and crumb coat when almost thawed. Then will decorate after that. Once I finish them, do they need to be covered while on the countertops? I don't have any cakeboxes or containers that will large enough and I live in the sticks so I can't make a quick trip to a store. Closest cake supply store is over 60 miles away.

Thanks.

Shanna

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 15 May 2008 , 1:40pm
post #7 of 9

They don't have to be covered. It's mainly to keep any dust off of the cake and help keep them protected. You could just put them in a place that out of the way so they don't get damaged.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 May 2008 , 1:50pm
post #8 of 9

Ditto TracyCakes. You really should not put cake in the refrigerator. Refrigerators will draw the moisture out of them. Unless the cake has a filling that has to be refrigerated, then on the coutner is better.

momtofourmonkeys Posted 15 May 2008 , 2:13pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks so much ladies.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%