My Purse Will Be Cakeballs....help

Decorating By makenice99 Updated 13 May 2008 , 11:43pm by lynda-bob

makenice99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makenice99 Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:31pm
post #1 of 6

I had my first major cake disaster. Itâs still sitting in my freezer waiting to be turned into cakeballs.

I wanted to try my hand at a purse cake for my co workers daughterâs birthday. Since I am new I thought that I could just make an 8â round in a 3âhigh pan and cut off some of the bottom for the purse. I cut the cake in half horizontally and used strawberry filling and put the cake to stand up vertically and then it started to lean forward. icon_sad.gif

I tried to put dowels in it and it stood a little better. I applied my buttercream and the cake was alright but slightly tilled. Fast forward I had to go to a class got home 3 hours later and the cake had felled back. I tried to save it by cutting it and trying to stack it horizontally but it didnât work. I gave up and put the whole thing back in the pan, wrapped it and put it in the freezer. It ruined my weekend. Please tell me what I did wrong. icon_cry.gif

1. I used a yellow Dunkin Hines cake mixes with cake extender recipe added to it.
Was this type of cake not strong enough to handle sculpturing?

2. I used fruit filling instead of buttercream to try to whole the cake together.
On Ace of Cakes I noticed they always just have buttercream fillings does that make a difference?

3. Why does the cake lean forward when I put it to stand?

Thank you for reading and all advice is greatly appreciated. icon_cry.gif

5 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 13 May 2008 , 4:01pm
post #2 of 6

you cut the cake in half like you would normally for a cake that wasn't standing up?? and then stood it up?? Just making sure I'm picturing it correctly. I think you need to slice it to the cake shape......stand it up and then cut horizontally and add the filling!

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 13 May 2008 , 5:49pm
post #3 of 6

I haven't done a purse cake, yet. But I did do a tall diaper bag. It was a sheet cake cut into four parts and stacked w/ a cardboard in the middle and dowels underneath and then doweled all the way thru the whole thing. All the layers had buttercream in between.

BUT I did do a train where I built part of it like I'm picturing your purse. It stood fine. I think the problem may have been with your filling. It might have been to slippery to hold itself up. I think w/ buttercream you would have been fine. Oh yeah and both of my cakes were made w/ the same kind of batter you said you used. Hope this helped some and I bet your next purse will be perfect. icon_smile.gif

makenice99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makenice99 Posted 13 May 2008 , 6:56pm
post #4 of 6

Yes, I treated the cake like a regular round sliced in half added the filling and then stood it up. Now that I think about it it never stood up straight but it didn't lean or break till after I filled it.

I am a little confused so I should have stood it up cut it in half add the buttercream and then put a board & dowel?

Thank you both so much for advising.

Thanks Lynda I hope the next purse works too. It was such a great tasting cake. I can't wait to try again this weekend.

shisharka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shisharka Posted 13 May 2008 , 9:08pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by makenice99

Yes, I treated the cake like a regular round sliced in half added the filling and then stood it up.

Your description on how you made it sounds similar to how the purse cake on top of the suitcase in my pics is done⦠It was about 2.5â thick 8â round that I sliced in two halves. Each half was then torted in three, so there are 6 tortes of cake standing vertically there, plus there is syrup, and mousse and morello cherries in the filling in between all!!! Cake was organic chocolate Dr. Oetker mix + extender.

The key points that made it work for me? Cake was filled and left on its side to solidify first, then smothered with butter-only buttercream and back in the fridge it went⦠Only after it was solid did I stand it up, put some more butter-only buttercream and covered in fondant⦠No supports, dowels, toothpics, whatever... yet it was completely safe to handle and delicious to eat icon_smile.gif

I have stood a 5-torte 9x13 on its side (the Wii in my pics, again no supports whatsoever), and I do think that butter-only (or SMBC and its variations) is the key! ⦠And the body of the dragon in my pics is standing up half-rounds, though it has the feet on all sides for extra supportâ¦

Best of luck next time, this type of construction does work!

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 13 May 2008 , 11:43pm
post #6 of 6

Shisharka's description was 1000x better than mine icon_biggrin.gif No support needed at all for the purse thumbs_up.gif I only used support in my diaper bag cake that was inordinately tall; so it was like a multi-tiered cake but no difference in layer sizes.

Also, I never never thought of leaving cake and filling on its side to set up first. I love cake central! Thanks Sisharka thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%