Smoothing Sides Of Cake Help Please

Decorating By creativecakesbychristine Updated 14 May 2008 , 3:54pm by cakebaker1957

creativecakesbychristine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creativecakesbychristine Posted 12 May 2008 , 3:11pm
post #1 of 19

I've seen some of the pics on here and some of the sides of cakes are sooooo smooth!! How in the world do you all get them that way? I've tried the paper towel thing but that leaves imprints, tried waxed/parchment paper and that doesn't work for me either, at least not as good as whatever ya'll are doing, lol

Also, how do some of you make them so level and perfect, please share the secrets. icon_smile.gif

Thanks!
Christine

18 replies
mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 12 May 2008 , 4:01pm
post #2 of 19

Sugarshack has a GREAT DVD on perfect buttercream. It's well worth the money! Basically, you get it smooth working it with Viva and then when you get the way you want it you do the same thing with printer paper.

But look for Sugarshacks DVD. You'll be glad you did!

~Mindy

Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 12 May 2008 , 4:16pm
post #3 of 19

Hi,
I was just practicing smoothing BC yesterday and I read a tip about dipping your spatula or pallette knife in boiling water so I tried it and it works great! Just dip the spatula in the boiling water for a couple of seconds then smooth, but the effect will only last for about 2 inches of cake before it wears off and you start removing instead of smoothing again! So keep dipping and I had to change the water aswell to keep it really hot, I was using a silicone spatula, I think if you use a metal knife it would stay hotter for longer.
HTH!

Calling all pro's! How do you get a nice edge, round or squared off I just couldn't do it! icon_rolleyes.gif

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 12 May 2008 , 4:27pm
post #4 of 19

I am learning myself but my sides became much better when I switched from a traditional spatula to a bench scraper ( a 5 inch by 4 inch stainless steel rectangle with a small handle along the 5 inch side. With baking tools, often used to scrape bits of dough off a work surface) or a 4 inch or so putty knife from the hardware store. I also put the blade along the edge, place my other hand all the way around the turntable and hold the blade with one hand and do one full complete turn with the other. I don't know why but it worked much bettter than a spatula, maybe cause I can see what I am doing better or the angle or something. Now if only I can get the corner where the side and top meet sharp.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 12 May 2008 , 4:43pm
post #5 of 19

Thanks Mindy!

I use a hot bench scraper too. make your icing as stiff and airless as you can to start with.

Viva and then typing paper with fondant smoothers for the final touches. here is my thread on it:

tippyad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tippyad Posted 12 May 2008 , 5:01pm
post #6 of 19

I use the "Melvira" method. After your BC has crusted use a small sponge roller from the paint store to smooth it. Work w/ slow strokes. There is a thread somewhere here that explains in detail. Works like a charm every time!

And as always Sugarshack's way is great too!

Tippyad

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 May 2008 , 11:44pm
post #7 of 19

bench scraper and melvira method ... only way to go!

Put LOTS of icing on the cake, so when you start the smoothing process, you have plenty of icing to remove. This really helps.

Instead of dipping my spatula in a container of hot water that's going to get tepid, I turn on the faucet and keep the hot water running, then run the spatula under that water. Works very well. Wipe the spatula dry, first. If you are using colored icing, the water from the dripping knife will run down the sides of the cake and discolor the icing. (Guess how I found THAT little tidbit of info? icon_redface.gif )

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 13 May 2008 , 1:08am
post #8 of 19

I just get it as smooth as I can using my 8" spatula, then Melvira that bad boy.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 May 2008 , 1:16am
post #9 of 19

I use a non crusting bc, so pressing anything onto it is out of the question.

I use a bench scraper. I also boil a pot of water and then pour that hot water into a small crockpot set on high. that keeps the water nice and hot, and I don't waste a lot of water keeping the faucet running.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 May 2008 , 1:22am
post #10 of 19

leahs, great idea!! THat's why you're the champ!

Lorendabug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorendabug Posted 13 May 2008 , 1:44am
post #11 of 19

I use a bench scraper and I mist my cakes lightly with water. Then smoot away, this only works with buttercream though. My sister whose is a professional cake decorator taught me that. Just don't mist it too much or it could be a mess. The excess water just evaporates for a nice smooth finish.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:09am
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorendabug

I use a bench scraper and I mist my cakes lightly with water. Then smoot away, this only works with buttercream though. My sister whose is a professional cake decorator taught me that. Just don't mist it too much or it could be a mess. The excess water just evaporates for a nice smooth finish.

Lorendabug, do you mist first then scrape or scrape then mist?

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 13 May 2008 , 3:55am
post #13 of 19

Viva is wonderful!
Here's my recipe:

thumbs_up.gif

Lorendabug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorendabug Posted 13 May 2008 , 4:10am
post #14 of 19

Bobwonderbuns - I spray, then mist. Just a little mist and it works wonders! I love how it works on my buttercream! I mist the whole cake, smooth the sides and then the top. Your cake might be a little shiny from the water but it will evaporate.

I forgot to add that I first get the cake as smooth as possible before I mist it.

When I did this the first time I was amazed at how smooth it got it.

trulyjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trulyjulie Posted 13 May 2008 , 4:12am
post #15 of 19

I'm a fan of Viva too. I made my niece's birthday cake this weekend and my sister thought it was fondant. But it has to be Viva, I tried other brands and they will put and impression in your icing.

Dee1219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dee1219 Posted 13 May 2008 , 4:14am
post #16 of 19

All I can say is buy Sugar Shack's DVDs They are SO SO awesome, I have been doing cakes for some time now and I learned so much! I think her recipe for icing is the key, it is perfect and tastes great!! She is an amazing talent! She has wonderful methods for getting that glass finnish. Melvira also has a unique technique as well with a foam roller, but again you need a crusting butter cream. Good luck to you!!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 13 May 2008 , 1:22pm
post #17 of 19

Thanks! I've used a variety of techniques already mentioned here but I haven't tried the misting technique. I'm looking forward to trying it! Also for those of you using Viva paper towels, it also works well with parchment paper. icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:04pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

leahs, great idea!! THat's why you're the champ!

Not at all, Indy. I discovered that trick right here on CC! And continue to pass it along.

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 14 May 2008 , 3:54pm
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

Thanks Mindy!

I use a hot bench scraper too. make your icing as stiff and airless as you can to start with.

Viva and then typing paper with fondant smoothers for the final touches. here is my thread on it:

Sugar shak im glad your here , i have your Dvd for the bc and it looks like your icing is smooth and soft as cool whip, is it , the texture looks great, so is it stiff like your talking about here?? Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%