To Much Color?

Baking By sheena16 Updated 15 May 2008 , 2:21pm by sheena16

sheena16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheena16 Posted 12 May 2008 , 1:37pm
post #1 of 6

I decorated cookies Saturday morning with Antonia74's flooding technic. I've done thousands of cookies this way and never had a problem.

I am doing a baby shower this Saturday and I needed a light pink and a darker pink that is nearly a coral color. It's an odd color so I mixed a lot so I didn't have to try to match what I had done. Having waste was better than try to match up the color if I needed more.

I decorated 6 dozen baby them cookies. The coral didn't set. It was the same batch as the light pink. I use Americolor gels and mixed electric pink with holiday red. It took a lot of color to get the color I needed.

The cookies didn't dry. They were the same consistency as marshamallow cream. They were sticky. I was finished with them Saturday morning at 11 and last night at 6 they still weren't dry. I threw them all out and rebaked them.

I have 12 dozen in the same colors of flowers for cookie bouquet centerpieces. Thank God I didn't decorate these yet!!!

What I'm asking is can you use to much color. Since the light pink from the same batch set normally could this be the problem??

Any advice would be great because I still need to get this color to redo the 6 dozen I threw out and the 12 dozen I have waiting.

HELP!!

5 replies
bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 12 May 2008 , 2:28pm
post #2 of 6

hmmm... I know this won't be much help, but I've never had a problem with them drying becasue of too much color being added - even when I've used a lot of color to make a red, burgandy or black....

sheena16 Posted 12 May 2008 , 9:53pm
post #3 of 6

This is the first I've ever had a problem like this. I'm going to mix a new batch and try it again but only on 2 cookies. If they dry nice then I guess it was a fluke. If they don't then I'm trouble for the baby shower order for this Saturday.

I'm going to think positive and hope for the best!!

thanks!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 12 May 2008 , 10:59pm
post #4 of 6

The only time I had this problem was when I made that recipe without the cream of tartar. Could be a coincidence, but I haven't made that mistake again, just in case.

Next time if the icing doesn't set, just take a knife and scrape off the icing instead of rebaking all those cookies! I've done that when I've made a mistake and it comes off cleanly before set.

sheena16 Posted 15 May 2008 , 2:20pm
post #5 of 6

I just re-did 10 dozen cookies last night. I checked them this morning and the dark pink and brown didn't dry and it's sticky. icon_eek.gif I could have cried!! icon_cry.gif All I can think of is I mixed the color in with my hand mixer because there was so much. I usually stir it in with a spoon. Maybe it's making it to fluffy and full of air. I don't know. icon_mad.gif I work until 5 so I will go home and start baking more and scrap what I can.

I will probably be up most of the night getting these done. I work 7-4 tomorrow so I will put them on sticks tomorrow night and get up at 4 am to bag them for delivery at 9:30.

Please pray that I don't have any more trouble!! I don't have any time left!!!!

sheena16 Posted 15 May 2008 , 2:21pm
post #6 of 6

I meant scrape what I can not scrap!

Now I'm a blubbering idiot!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%