German Chocolate Cake??

Baking By Auryn Updated 13 May 2008 , 4:38pm by Auryn

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 12 May 2008 , 4:28am
post #1 of 11

Hi all.
Well apparently my boyfriend's favorite type of cake is German Chocolate.
Problem is I've never had German Chocolate cake and have no idea what it entails.
I know it has a particular filling, but have no idea what it tastes like.

I would like to do something fondant covered- Im thinking the half barrel with the swimming duckies (he has a love for rubber duckies, and I own ducks).
Is this doable or does it have to be frosted with chocolate frosting like all the ones ive seen online??

Lastly, does anyone have a recipe for an out of this world german chocolate cake??

thanks

10 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 12 May 2008 , 8:32am
post #2 of 11
mgigglin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgigglin Posted 12 May 2008 , 9:34am
post #3 of 11

I use the recipe inside the box of Baker's German Chocolate. I just love that recipe and ahve converted non German chocolate lovers over just because of it!

Oh... now I may have to go make one! That sounds sooooo yummy!!

Kim

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 12 May 2008 , 9:38am
post #4 of 11

Auryn, the cake itself is made of German sweet chocolate, which gives it the name - BUT, you can't have German Chocolate Cake without the caramel/pecan or walnut/coconut filling...that is what really sets it apart!

I made one recently, using chocolate buttercrem for outer walls, using the CC recipe with walnuts: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1217032

Best of luck - the recipe is easy, and for sure yummy!!

Tanja

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 12 May 2008 , 10:30am
post #5 of 11

The coconut pecan icing is what makes the german chocolate cake. If this is his favorite cake I would use the traditioinal way of doing it. You can make a different cake to do the theme.

amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 12 May 2008 , 11:01am
post #6 of 11

Since you are all talking about German Chocolate.....I have a question (sorry don't wanna hyjack the thread). Guy requested German chocolate cake with chocolate ganache filling......would this still be a german chocolate cake then? I though it HAD to have the coconut pecan filling?????

Homemade-Goodies Posted 12 May 2008 , 11:12am
post #7 of 11

I know as a kid my grandma made it with a chocolate filling, but the caramel/pecan/coconut frosting on top & sides then. As long as it's some variation of all the bits, maybe...?

mgigglin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgigglin Posted 12 May 2008 , 11:19am
post #8 of 11

German choc cake is typically made with yes the wonderful coconut pecan frosting but even if you just do the cake the actual choc cake recipe is a bit different than a regular choc cake. It is lighter and not as chocolatier as a regular choclate cake. does that make sense? I'm sure you could do it with a ganache that might taste really good!

Kim

amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 12 May 2008 , 11:25am
post #9 of 11

thanks!

Homemade-Goodies Posted 12 May 2008 , 11:26am
post #10 of 11

I agree that the actual cake is different a normal chocolate cake...just as Devil's Food is. Of course you can just use the cake with ganache....but I'm willing to bet if the boyfriend asked for German Chocolate Cake, he didn't just mean the cake part, but rather to entire package. Why couldn't ganache be drizzled over it all.....yummers!

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 13 May 2008 , 4:38pm
post #11 of 11

thanks everyone
for some reason i didnt get a notice that anyone had replied,
promise I wasnt ignoring anyone.

So I guess I will do a traditional cake with all the frosting.
No fondant
oohh could I wrap the traditionally frosted cake with a chocolate wrap?

ya he definitely said he loves the frosting- all he could tell me was that it has coconut in it. Hes a really bad one for ingredients- swears he hates something even though hes never tried it- Men sheesh.

thanks everyone
I gotta get practicing it seems
guess my employees will be eating chocolate cake for the next few months.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%