Please Please -How Do I Price These???

Business By Tellis12 Updated 26 May 2008 , 2:02am by ANicole

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 12 May 2008 , 3:54am
post #1 of 6

I have someone who is ordering some pastries instead of a cake. She wants me to call her tomorrow with some options of what I can do and different price ranges. I haven't done many pastries to sell and I'm not sure exactly how much to charge as I can't find many prices of competitors online. This is what I was thinking:
caramel drizzled double choc. brownies 1.00 a piece
Chocolate tarts (approx 1 1/2" across each) w/ whipped cream on top .95
Choc. drizzled choc. meringues .75
Choc. macaroons .85

A min. order of 20, larger amounts in increments of 10, all individually wrapped.

I'm just trying to start my business so I don't want to overprice at all. I'd rather be slightly under priced than over.

5 replies
SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 12 May 2008 , 11:47am
post #2 of 6

Just because you are just starting out doesn't mean you should underprice yourself. When I do varieties like that I charge it as a dessert tray which is $4 per person and 20 person minimum. That's a lot of work!

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 12 May 2008 , 7:38pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks. I hadn't thought of that.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 13 May 2008 , 7:02pm
post #4 of 6

If you are going to put them in individual BAGS, I would bump up the price by .50 at least. You should cost these out and account for your time, though, just to be sure. There have been times I've discovered that I wasn't making enough to turn on the oven!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 13 May 2008 , 9:32pm
post #5 of 6

Do plan on offering pastries all the time?? If not then I'd just pass her off on someone who does this. Your prices seem really low to me. You need to sit down and calculate how much it is going to cost you to make these desserts before you give her a quote of prices that you just pulled out of your you-know-where (said all in good fun.. not being mean). icon_wink.gif

What happens is that you don't realize how much it will cost you to make it all AND get the bags and you dont' realize how much TIME it takes to do it all. Not to mention that having to un wrap every little dessert for a dessert table is a pain in the butt for the people eating them. If you are doing a dessert tray I would wrap them as trays so they can put them out and people won't have to unwrap them with every bite. I'd pass right over them if I had to do that.. just from the view point if someone eating them. icon_smile.gif

So you have homework.. calculate how much it is going to cost you to make all of these delectibles and then make sure you are making a good profit and getting paid a decent amount for the time it will take to make them and plate them up. Don't undersell yourself.. you will have a hard time upping your prices later when you realize that you are making $2/hour when all is said an done. icon_biggrin.gif

ANicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANicole Posted 26 May 2008 , 2:02am
post #6 of 6

Those prices are very low!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%