Was This Quote Too High?

Decorating By luelue1971 Updated 9 May 2008 , 8:59pm by luelue1971

luelue1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luelue1971 Posted 9 May 2008 , 7:35pm
post #1 of 4

Here is the picture of the cake the bride wants. The main cake with the fountain and two satellite cakes. So I quoted her $500 plus a $50 refundable deposit. That is for the main cake being a 12" a 8" and a 6" all square cakes and the two satellite cakes being an 8" plus a 6" tiered. She also wanted edible lilies between cakes.

I haven't heard anything from her since I sent the price and the wedding is 6 weeks from tomorrow.
LL

3 replies
potatocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
potatocakes Posted 9 May 2008 , 7:51pm
post #2 of 4

I definitely don't think you overquoted that cake. Would you making the lilies from gumpaste? In my opinion, you underpriced yourself. How long ago did you give her the price? If you do hear from her, I definitely wouldn't go lower. If anything, maybe send her a short email letting her know if she doesn't book by XX date (maybe 2 weeks before wedding), then the price will go up as it will be considered a last minute order, especially with all those flowers to make.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 9 May 2008 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 4

Wow, that is really LOW. I'm surprised they didn't jump on that immediately.

luelue1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luelue1971 Posted 9 May 2008 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 4

That's what I thought.

I was planning on making the flowers out of either gumpaste or royal icing. I have also checked on ordering them online.

I calculated it to be about $2.50 a serving.

She is only 18 and probably has no idea how much a wedding cake costs. Originally her fiance's aunt was making the cake and she was dissappointed because she wanted me to do it. Then apparently the aunt backed out so maybe she's decided to try to convince the aunt to do it again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%