Advice For Topsy Cakes...

Decorating By kimmyboo925 Updated 9 May 2008 , 5:49pm by KHalstead

kimmyboo925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmyboo925 Posted 9 May 2008 , 5:10pm
post #1 of 2

Hi guys doing my first topsy cake this weekend... practice... any advice for me before I have a cake disaster! How high should I go the first time... I would like to cover it in buttercream. There are so many different instructions and everyone has there own opinion... so lets hear it.

1 reply
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 9 May 2008 , 5:49pm
post #2 of 2

I say start off with a 2 tier one..just to get your feet wet.......since it's a practice cake, it might also be fun to throw it (nicely of course) in the back of your car and drive around with it, so you know how sturdy it is! lol Here's my advice: Don't be afraid to dig down a good inch into the bottom cake (afterall, each tier is 3 layers high instead of the normal 2 layers...so you have a little wiggle room)...the ONLY time I didn't go down a full inch...only about half an inch on one side and maybe a quarter inch on the other....the top cake was falling off when I delivered it and I had to repair it (scary) it's the black and white with red roses one in my photos.....I actually have to make another one of these (already done like 4 of the same design, and just did a 3 tiered wedding cake..but don't have a photo yet..I forgot my camera) anyhow.........they're not that difficult...you just have to give yourself time because they can be time consuming! Also.....dowel your bottom layer and put a central dowel down through both cakes!! Oh and remember to have fun!!! They're really fun!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%