How Do I Make This Cake?

Decorating By tguegirl Updated 9 May 2008 , 4:25am by FromScratch

tguegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tguegirl Posted 9 May 2008 , 3:20am
post #1 of 10

I saw this gorgeous cake at a cake show in Philadelphia and want to know how it's done. I don't remember which bakery, so I'm very sorry for not giving it the credit that it's due.

Does anyone have any ideas? (Doug?) Of course, if I tried it, it wouldn't turn out nearly as beautiful, but perhaps I could try to replicate it in miniature at some point!
LL

9 replies
bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 9 May 2008 , 3:26am
post #2 of 10

Girl you need Doug,maybe you can pm him he is great with these constructions...

felecia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
felecia Posted 9 May 2008 , 3:38am
post #3 of 10

wow...nice cake....i would charge a arm and a leg for that cake

biancas_mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biancas_mommy Posted 9 May 2008 , 3:49am
post #4 of 10

it looks like the kind of topsy-turvy that's done with regular-shaped tiers (not carved to be topsy-turvy themselves i mean...the tops and bottoms are flat/parallel to each other) and separated with wedges of styrofoam. so the parts covered in the bubbly-ball thingies are probably styrofoam, and the cakes are resting on them flush, all held together, i would guess, by a big center dowel? not that i have ANY experience making such a cake but that's my guess! icon_smile.gif doug will know for sure.

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 9 May 2008 , 3:55am
post #5 of 10

thats a beautiful cake... good luck.. post your version.. iwould love to see it

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 9 May 2008 , 3:57am
post #6 of 10

There was one on Food Network challenge Surprise Engagement & they used the acrylic cake stand & the "boards" were slanted when they put it together. I'm not exactly sure how you would keep the cake from shifting off it though. I would be afraid gravity would "tear" the cake right off. They all had a big center dowel that connected to the one below when assembled. Does that make sense?

Ah-na Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ah-na Posted 9 May 2008 , 4:08am
post #7 of 10

Collette Peters' book "Cakes to Dream on" has alot of these cakes and instructions on how to build them. She has some cakes that defy gravity even more than that one!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

tguegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tguegirl Posted 9 May 2008 , 4:11am
post #8 of 10

that was exactly what I was thinking. However, I had the same concern about the cake sliding off or tearing off from that center dowel--those tiers are pretty slanted! Do you think the slanted layers are styrofoam maybe?

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 9 May 2008 , 4:23am
post #9 of 10

Styrofoam is always a possibility

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 9 May 2008 , 4:25am
post #10 of 10

Maybe like this?? You'd have to use a sturdy cake.. but it's not that difficult. (says the girl who's never made it icon_lol.gif )

That's a HUGE cake though.. I'm guessing that the base is 18" at it's thickest point.. icon_eek.gif
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%