Please Help With Marzipan Qu

Decorating By maggz Updated 9 May 2008 , 6:07am by Cakechick123

maggz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggz Posted 9 May 2008 , 1:34am
post #1 of 6

im trying to create a spiderweb to lay over a round 8 inch cake out of Marzipan. im making a spiderman themed cake for a wonderful 8 yr old boy who will be very happy. im wondering how i would go about making the design of the spider web out of marzipan and how i would put it on the cake? with water or vodka like fondant?
would it be best to use marzipan on fondant or just on top of buttercream???
please help, any advice would be appreciated.

thank you

5 replies
Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 9 May 2008 , 2:04am
post #2 of 6

ooh, that sounds super tricky, I would say it would be easier laying it on fondant as BC could be messy as you were putting it on, any reason you don't want to just pipe the web on the cake? I think the effect would be just as good and way easier! icon_biggrin.gif

maggz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggz Posted 9 May 2008 , 3:07am
post #3 of 6

my hands not very steady for piping, i would be too nervous id mess up. i decided it might be easier to make thin rolls of marzipan to making into spider webs.

Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 9 May 2008 , 5:04am
post #4 of 6

Oh I see what you mean, each section of the web rolled and layed separatly, okies!
The only reason I think it would be easier on fondant is even if BC is set and crusted if you poke a finger in it while your placing the marzipan it's gonna get all dented and dinged whereas fondant will hold up better and look neater overall, then you can just use a dab of water to hold the web in place, I don't know if you could use water on BC though??
icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 9 May 2008 , 5:57am
post #5 of 6

It might be easier to make the ropes out of fondant than marzipan. I've made long, thin strings of marzipan with a clay extruder, though they don't come out as smooth as fondant. When I attach fondant to fondant, I either use a bit of water or a dot of buttercream.

If you were going to try piping it (I did see what you said about that) you could press circles into the crusted buttercream as guides, and then lines, and then just go over the lines with buttercream.

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 9 May 2008 , 6:07am
post #6 of 6

I agree with TR, it will be a lot easier to use fondant(it might be called sugarpaste where you are) than trying to do it with marzipan. Sugarpaste has more stretch and you can roll it nice and smooth.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%