Acknowledgment?...

Decorating By michellesArt Updated 9 May 2008 , 2:11am by michellesArt

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 9 May 2008 , 12:54am
post #1 of 6

am i being parinoid or out of line (?) about just seeing a newbie's cake that looks strickingly similar to one that i have posted without any comments about inspiration or borrowed idea ect? i feel a bit icon_confused.gif peaved that there was now comment on where the idea or how it came about but as i've got many wonderful ideas from other CCers i feel that it is a great curtesy to say thanks for the inspiration (even if it's not exactly the same) you are borrowing someone's idea and although i love sharing my pics and love the idea that someone else would feel inspired by my pics-i'm awed by that anyway, i'm going on i'm sure, just venting a bit i don't want to get too negative about it but please newbies, just a quick thanks and no hurt feelings thumbs_up.gif

5 replies
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 9 May 2008 , 1:10am
post #2 of 6

Honestly, this has come up SO MANY times in the past. It's nice to be acknowledged, but not required. If it bothers you that much PM the person, there is no need to make it public.

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 9 May 2008 , 1:20am
post #3 of 6

Well, the hard thing is...can you prove they actually copied your cake? Depending on the theme or what it's made of, it's pretty common for cake ideas to overlap some. If you derived inspiration from a cake book, what if the other person has the same book and came up with a similar idea?

For example, there's so many pastel colored fondant cakes which are striped on one layer and have polka dots on the other. it's so common that it's near impossible to credit whoever did the first one.

If you put any creative work out on the internet, someone somewhere is going to either copy it or do something very similar to it. Doesn't mean they are a theif, it just means they liked it so much they wanted to test their skills by seeing if they could re-create it. And yea, you won't always get recognition or credit. In a perfect world it'd be nice, but don't worry about it and be flattered that someone considered you worthy enough to 'steal' from icon_smile.gif

michellesArt Posted 9 May 2008 , 1:21am
post #4 of 6

thanks, i'm trying not to take it personally, i know that there's a lot that goes on...i think i'm just a bit emotional right now (for completely unrelated reasons)

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 9 May 2008 , 1:43am
post #5 of 6

I'm really sorry you're having a bad time. It's understandable that something like this can set you off when you're upset about other things. Maybe it's easier to be mad about this than some other more complicated thing that you're really upset about. Been there.

If someone wanted to copy one of my cakes, I'd be so thrilled that I wouldn't care if they acknowledged me or not. I am not all that creative and I depend on the galleries for ideas that I can copy, combine, modify, etc. I try to remember where I found the pics so I can acknowledge them, but I can't always do that. I hope everyone who posts pictures here knows how VERY grateful many of us are for this incredible resource for ideas.

I do think that if you don't like to have our cakes copied, you shouldn't post them into the public domain.

michellesArt Posted 9 May 2008 , 2:11am
post #6 of 6

i dont mind, and am flattered...i'm gonna leave it at that and who knows, it could be a complete flook that it looks similar to mine

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%