Ice Cream Scoop Cookies

Baking By Texas_Rose Updated 22 Jul 2008 , 12:52am by MichelleM77

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 9 May 2008 , 12:36am
post #1 of 16

I posted this recipe last night, but it never showed up in the recipes. I also posted a picture of the cookies, and have had lots of pm's asking for the recipe...so I'm posting it here for now instead of copying and pasting to reply to all the pm's. icon_biggrin.gif Hope that's okay!!!

I've only made them in strawberry...I was actually watching the Food Network last night and someone had made ice cream scoops out of chocolate candy, which reminded me that I had to send a sweet treat to my daughter's school today, so this is what I came up with last night.

1 cup margarine (not softened)
1 cup sugar
1 pkg jello (4 serving)
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 teaspoons baking powder
3 cups flour

Preheat oven to 400.

Cream margarine, sugar and jello powder together. Add egg, vanilla and baking powder and mix well. Add flour and mix...if you have a KA it will probably do it, but other mixers might not. The dough will be stiff. Gather it into a ball and start scooping it, either with a round tablespoon measuring spoon or a cookie scoop. Leave some of the edges on so it looks more like ice cream. They don't really spread when baked, but leave about an inch between them on the (ungreased) cookie sheet. Press some sprinkles onto the tops of them, and bake for 6 minutes. They'll be soft, so leave them on the sheet for a couple of minutes to firm up.

It made 26 cookies...but it might have made a few more if we weren't eating the dough icon_lol.gif happens a lot when my sister and I cook together!

I used strawberry jello, but you could use any flavor. I bet orange would be good too.

Enjoy!!!

15 replies
tenleysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tenleysmommy Posted 9 May 2008 , 3:07am
post #2 of 16

Thanks,sounds yummy! icon_wink.gif

onceuponacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacookie Posted 9 May 2008 , 3:10am
post #3 of 16

I seen your picture of these cute cookies and have waiting for the recipe! I can't wait to try these! Thank you so much! icon_biggrin.gif

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 9 May 2008 , 8:04am
post #4 of 16

Just looked for this recipe after I saw your picture, couldn't find it, thanks for posting. Want to try this soon.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 9 May 2008 , 12:13pm
post #5 of 16

These are so cute, and sound really easy! Wish I had some jello!

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 9 May 2008 , 12:30pm
post #6 of 16

Sound yummy.

As for your recipe posting, it can take several days. I believe Jackie and Heath have to review it. I've had some that can take over a week.

I also saw the lady make ice cream scoops out of chocolate. I was shocked that she was able to add water to it without it seizing. It would never work for! I wonder if it was almond bark? Any ideas?

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 14 May 2008 , 7:52pm
post #7 of 16

I just finished making a batch of these...yummy. Instead of margarine I used butter, and instead of straw pudding i used chocolate fudge. I initally used my large scoop but find it makes too large of a cookie and switched to the smallest scoop i had which would make it a more suitable cookie for a child.
Mixture was quite crumbly in the bowl, is it suppose to be crumbly? Once i scooped out some dough it formed the shape i wanted but initally i thought i had done something wrong.
I also baked these for around five extra minutes to make a less 'doughy' texture to the cookie.
Overall I think they tasted great, we'll see what my DH and DS say when they get home.
Thanks for sharing it.

suz

lane52403 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lane52403 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 12:53pm
post #8 of 16

Can't wait to try these. Thanks!! icon_biggrin.gif

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 1:20pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcravings

I just finished making a batch of these...yummy. Instead of margarine I used butter, and instead of straw pudding i used chocolate fudge. I initally used my large scoop but find it makes too large of a cookie and switched to the smallest scoop i had which would make it a more suitable cookie for a child.
Mixture was quite crumbly in the bowl, is it suppose to be crumbly? Once i scooped out some dough it formed the shape i wanted but initally i thought i had done something wrong.
I also baked these for around five extra minutes to make a less 'doughy' texture to the cookie.
Overall I think they tasted great, we'll see what my DH and DS say when they get home.
Thanks for sharing it.

suz

I don't think the OP used strawberry pudding mix, but strawberry gelatin mix. Maybe that's why your dough was crumbly? I want to make a batch this afternoon, but will wait until this is clarified. I assumed that these are made with gelatin mix, but now you've got me thinking. I should never assume.

Jocmom Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 1:22pm
post #10 of 16

. . . and . . . would sugar-free Jello work? I have tons of that in the house already.

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 4:09pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocmom

I don't think the OP used strawberry pudding mix, but strawberry gelatin mix. Maybe that's why your dough was crumbly? I want to make a batch this afternoon, but will wait until this is clarified. I assumed that these are made with gelatin mix, but now you've got me thinking. I should never assume.

It was the gelatin mix. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Pudding mix doesn't last long enough around my house to get made into anything but pudding now that my 6 year old can read enough to cook simple things icon_biggrin.gif I'll have to buy a box of pudding mix and try it that way.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 5:22pm
post #12 of 16

Ohhhhh I guess i read it wrong! I'll have to try it your way as well. I really did like the cookie my way too, it tasted kinda like the dark choco cookie recipe that was posted not long ago. Kinda like a chocolate shortbread. very dense. It's funny how i made the mistake yet it still baked up ok.
Glad to have that clarified. I'll have to give it a try the proper way next time. However, i do like chocolate better than strawberry.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 6:32pm
post #13 of 16

So did this recipe create a good strawberry flavor? I tried adding raspberry jam to my cookies and didn't get a good result, texture wise or flavor. Blech.

Jocmom Posted 19 Jul 2008 , 9:31pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

It was the gelatin mix. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Pudding mix doesn't last long enough around my house to get made into anything but pudding now that my 6 year old can read enough to cook simple things icon_biggrin.gif I'll have to buy a box of pudding mix and try it that way.

Thanks for the clarification. Let the baking begin! ! !

abslu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abslu Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 9:28pm
post #15 of 16

I just searched for the recipe and it is in the recipe section now!! I can't wait to try these! What a fun idea!!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 22 Jul 2008 , 12:52am
post #16 of 16

You can use the NFSC recipe as well. It's really the technique, not so much the recipe, though this recipe sounds good for the flavored cookies.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%