Refrigerating Fondant Accents????????????

Decorating By momof4sweeties Updated 10 May 2008 , 3:47am by KimAZ

momof4sweeties Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof4sweeties Posted 8 May 2008 , 9:10pm
post #1 of 9

O.k., i've read that Fondant is not supposed to be refridgerated, so I am doing cakes that are iced in BC, but have fondant accents. Do I have to wait until the day of the events to put the accents on?
None of the cakes have any type of whipped filling or anything, just BC, so do they even have to be in the fridge? Will they dry out?

8 replies
mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 8 May 2008 , 9:57pm
post #2 of 9

I would wait. The moisture from condensation could make them melt.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 8 May 2008 , 10:09pm
post #3 of 9

I would go ahead and put the fondant accents on, but if you have gumpaste I'd wait on those. I refrigerate fondant covered cakes all the time (there's one in my frdige right now!) and the worst that ever happens is the surface gets kind of sticky if it's really humid when you take it out. No big deal. I worry that the stickiness will affect gumpaste, though, so I don't put gumpaste flowers etc on cakes if I'm going to refrigerate them.

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 8 May 2008 , 10:11pm
post #4 of 9

All I can tell you is I made a BC covered cake for a Christmas party at my house with fondant snowflakes and I did it early because I had a whole lot of other things to do and thought I could just keep it in the fridge. It looked fine for a couple of days and then on the day of the party, I open the door and they had all slumped like the clocks in that Dali painting. Luckly I had taken a pic while they were intact. I'd wait.
LL

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 May 2008 , 2:35pm
post #5 of 9

Let me clarify!!! Using the picture of the snowflake cake as an example, I agree that the 3-D fondant shouldn't be put on the cake until delivery time, but I'd have no problem with putting the snowflakes that are stuck to the sides of the cake on it and refrigerating it. Definitely don't put anything 3-D like that in the fridge for any length of time. When you said "accents" in the initial question I thought of appliqued pieces or something that was on the surface of the cake, not anything 3-D!!! I have put gumpaste flowers on cakes in the morngin for delivery times in the early afternoon, but I wouldn't refrigerate anything overnight like that.

Another thing to remember is that if you seal a cake up in a plastic cake carrier/dome, you shouldn't put gumpaste on it either. The moisture from the icing can recirculate in the sealed dome and soften the gumpaste. That happened to me once, and all the flowers were flat and mushy. Just wait until the end before you deliver to put the 3-D flowers etc., on.

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 9 May 2008 , 2:50pm
post #6 of 9

Costumeczar,
thank you for your clarification. This is what the site is fabulous for. If we share our experiences, maybe someone can by-pass learning the hard way. I had been afraid to put any fondant on ahead of time so you just answered that question.

momof4sweeties Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof4sweeties Posted 9 May 2008 , 9:40pm
post #7 of 9

Thank you all so much for all of your helpicon_smile.gif Dont know what Id do without all the people on this site.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 9 May 2008 , 10:02pm
post #8 of 9

I refridgerate my BC cakes with fondant accents all the time and they never wilt or slump..I guess it has alot to do with the climate in your area and humidity..It is very dry here so humidity is not an issue.

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 10 May 2008 , 3:47am
post #9 of 9

I don't know where you live but I'm in Arizona and put my buttercream frosted cakes with fondant accents in the fridge all the time too with no problems. I use MMF which tends to be softer than store bought fondant and it's still fine.

KimAZ

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%