What Was She Thinking? (Guess I Should Be Flattered...)

Decorating By cakelady11215 Updated 10 May 2008 , 3:59am by traci

WendyVA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyVA Posted 9 May 2008 , 1:09pm
post #31 of 36

I get that alot. Someone wanting a sculpted or elaborate cake but sized down to serve 15 or so and expecting that to make it cheap.

As far as this cake goes I'd tell them that cake can not be made for 10 servings, they will have to pay for however much cake you need to use to get the proportions right! It often gets harder to make it smaller - so more expensive, not cheaper.

You should always charge for how much cake you have to make not how many they want to serve with it. She might tell you that she is going to eat this cake all by herself, but you can't just charge for 1 serving. Charge what it's worth no matter how many invites she is sending out.

Most people change their minds about a sculpted cake after I tell them how much it will be, but that's okay with me. I'm not going to do the work for free.

That's quite a project. I wouldn't touch it for less than $750. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 9 May 2008 , 2:10pm
post #32 of 36

why a graduate would want that as a cake is beyond me. did she really ask for a cake in that shape???? perhaps she would take it drawn onto a sheet cake since she only wants to feed 10. whos she trying to impress here. you better give her another call.

cakelady11215 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady11215 Posted 10 May 2008 , 2:00am
post #33 of 36

thanks everyone for your suggestions and (funny) comments! icon_smile.gif actually, the story gets even better...her budget is $50! lol.... but, in her defense (so she doesn't seem like such a crazy, irrational, demanding person) she was thinking more of a sheet cake cut into the shape of the library. phew! as much as i was stressing on how i was gonna pull it off, i was a bit excited for the challenge. anyway, thanks again for all the support! btw...who's "Doug"? icon_confused.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 10 May 2008 , 3:21am
post #34 of 36

he's the man with the plan around here... basically if you have a weird design that you need help with ya hollar DOUG !!!!!!!!! LOL

denette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denette Posted 10 May 2008 , 3:31am
post #35 of 36

Could you get an edible image of the building and then cut the cake to match the shape of the edible image?

There are some places that will print a "custom" edible image.

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 10 May 2008 , 3:59am
post #36 of 36

The next time you get someone asking for something ridiculous or you just don't want to mess with it...just give them Duff's phone number.

Glad it worked out for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%