Gumpaste Roses

Decorating By kkswmmr114 Updated 7 May 2008 , 1:34pm by kkswmmr114

kkswmmr114 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkswmmr114 Posted 7 May 2008 , 4:34am
post #1 of 7

I know... another thread on roses... but I couldnt find what I was looking for in any of the other threads. Anyways... I am going to try to make my first gumpaste roses this weekend. I am very much a beginner when it come to sculpting anything so I am completely unknowledgeable about all of this. I have heard that there is a five-petal cutter method of making the roses and then there is an individual petal method. My question is: what is the difference and which one would a beginner like me have the most success with?? I would also appreciate any other advice anyone has to offer!! Thank you!!

Marlee

6 replies
sparklynne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklynne Posted 7 May 2008 , 7:03am
post #2 of 7

Hi Marlee, I have never personally worked with the five petal cutter rose system so I really can't tell you much about it. I do however do the single petal method and I really like it. I was self taught and found that the more of them I did the better I got. I have a couple of pictures on my photo page of some of my floral and on some of my cakes. I like the single petal because you can articulate the petals to make them look more realistic and you can adjust the size by the number of petals you add to them not to mention it helps you make great small buds. The best advice I could give you is to be patient and if you don't get awesome results on the first one don't give up. The little light bulb clicked on for me and away I went. If I can do it so can you. Anyway, good luck to you on your rose making. icon_smile.gif

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 7 May 2008 , 7:06am
post #3 of 7

the five petal is a lot easier for a beginner, so I would suggest using that. Its also a lot faster than doing individula petals. Once you have the knack going to individual petals will be a breeze icon_smile.gif

Also remember the thinner the paste is rolled the more realistic the rose looks. My teacher said the paste should be so thin that you can see printed words thorugh it.
HTH

scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 7 May 2008 , 7:32am
post #4 of 7

After cutting the petals, press the outer edge of each one between your fingers. This will take away the "cut" look, and give them a more realistic look.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 7 May 2008 , 9:01am
post #5 of 7
cakenewbiekgm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenewbiekgm Posted 7 May 2008 , 12:49pm
post #6 of 7

So glad I stumbled across this post - those links will be GREAT!!! I am definitely a visual learner! THANKS!!!

kkswmmr114 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkswmmr114 Posted 7 May 2008 , 1:34pm
post #7 of 7

Wow... so much information!! Thank you sooo much!!

Marlee

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%