Present Like Wedding Cake

Decorating By cakes21 Updated 7 May 2008 , 12:27pm by vdrsolo

cakes21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes21 Posted 7 May 2008 , 3:59am
post #1 of 8

I have a wedding cake coming up soon and they want it to look like a present. They are going to be square cakes with the bow top. My question is how do I get a good measure on what size i should make the ribbon? I would need it to dry but without the cake complete how do i know how big to make each one? If i let the gumpast dry would i be able to cut it without it breaking?

7 replies
tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 7 May 2008 , 4:21am
post #2 of 8

The ribbon you do last minute..the bow you can do ahead of time..I wish I could see wich type of boxes you are talking about
Edna

cakes21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes21 Posted 7 May 2008 , 11:39am
post #3 of 8

It's going to be a square cake qith three tiers and they are going to be off set from one another. So basically it's not going to be straight. One layer will look square and the next will be diamond shape if you are just looking at it. It's going to be a 6,10&14. The bride wants the bow with all the loops in it and each layer of ribbon a different color.

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 7 May 2008 , 11:49am
post #4 of 8

I made something similar in a one tier cake for the Wilton III course - the ribbon and bow were fondant, and that worked very well.

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 7 May 2008 , 11:56am
post #5 of 8

I haven't done one like this, but I was just take each cake pan and you'll be able to see what size it needs to be by measuring that!

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 7 May 2008 , 12:10pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

The ribbon you do last minute..the bow you can do ahead of time..I wish I could see wich type of boxes you are talking about
Edna

I agree, definitely make the ribbons after the cake is done, you don't want the ribbon to dry because it will need to mold against the cake shape.

But definitely get that bow done ahead of time. And charge appropriately for that bow, I charge $35.

For a 6" top cake, I make my each of my loops (before attaching the ends) 6" long. I also make a few 5" and 4" loops in case I need to put in any filler loops.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 7 May 2008 , 12:15pm
post #7 of 8

I would use my 6" square to size the bow, but, the ribbons would wait until I was decorating the cake.

My son and DIL had this cake at their wedding. It was beautiful. NOPE! I didn't do it....I was the MOG!! You know, "wear beige and show up!" LOL

Anyway, I prefer fondant to gumpaste for ribbons, but, that is only one gal's opinion!

GOOD LUCK and post a pic!

Beth in KY

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 7 May 2008 , 12:27pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethola

I would use my 6" square to size the bow, but, the ribbons would wait until I was decorating the cake.

My son and DIL had this cake at their wedding. It was beautiful. NOPE! I didn't do it....I was the MOG!! You know, "wear beige and show up!" LOL

Anyway, I prefer fondant to gumpaste for ribbons, but, that is only one gal's opinion!

GOOD LUCK and post a pic!

Beth in KY

Same here, I would definitely use fondant, not gumpaste, for the ribbons. You will be able to cut through the cake with no problems with the fondant ribbons.

For the bow, use that exact same fondant, just add a bit of tylose to the fondant to help with the drying process. I add 1 tsp per 12 oz of fondant for bows.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%