Pearl Dusts In Different Shades?

Decorating By MacsMom Updated 8 May 2008 , 7:30pm by wgoat5

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 6 May 2008 , 10:56pm
post #1 of 14

I see that pearl dust comes in diff colors yet I can't detect much color in the photos (I have to order it online).

Is it worth trying out different shades of pearl dust or does super pearl pretty much have the same effect over colored fondant? I mean, in what instance would I use red or blue pearl dust?

...Note that I am not talking about luster dust.

13 replies
wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 6 May 2008 , 11:05pm
post #2 of 14

Yes it is.. I just got blue pearl.. and it enhances the blue wonderfully icon_smile.gif

MacsMom Posted 6 May 2008 , 11:21pm
post #3 of 14

What's the difference between using blue pearl dust over blue fondant as opposed to using blue luster dust?

I guess I'm just having a hard time with the "why use it?" part icon_rolleyes.gif

MacsMom Posted 6 May 2008 , 11:23pm
post #4 of 14

My posts are coming out all funky with tons of words missing!!

It should read: why use blue p e a r l dust over blue fondant as opposed to just using blue l u s t e r dust ?

wgoat5 Posted 6 May 2008 , 11:24pm
post #5 of 14

Mom <---if I may call you that icon_smile.gif ... it has a tint of blue.. where as if you spray blue with a reg. pearl it kind of muffles it up ya know? Changes the color a little... But the blue stays with the blue hue icon_smile.gif

I hope that makes sense

wgoat5 Posted 6 May 2008 , 11:27pm
post #6 of 14

oh oh oh !! LOL well.. I just used the blue pearl and the blue luster mixed yesterday .. I don't know it just leaves a pearly shine to it.

crazy4sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4sugar Posted 6 May 2008 , 11:28pm
post #7 of 14

Can we just add petal dust to regular super pearl to give it a hint of color?

wgoat5 Posted 6 May 2008 , 11:31pm
post #8 of 14

Petal dust is totally different.. its a matte color .. mostly for flowers.. well at least for me

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 6 May 2008 , 11:47pm
post #9 of 14

Blue luster on blue fondant will enhance the blue and make it shiny, pearl luster on blue will give it a pearlescent (is that a word?) sheen over top and slightly lighten the color, pearl blue luster will do the same as pearl, but has a hint more of a blue shimmer.

You can make your own colored pearl lusters by adding a bit of whatever other color luster and mixing well. That's basically what the manufacturer does.

MacsMom Posted 7 May 2008 , 2:43am
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4sugar

Can we just add petal dust to regular super pearl to give it a hint of color?

Yes! I've added pink petal dust to super pearl and it works just fine. Not quite as shiny, but it gave me pink pearl dust.

MacsMom Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:00pm
post #11 of 14

I found this:

"When dusted on white petals, other pearls such as blue, gold, green, orange, red or violet exhibit a subtle translucent or iridescent reflective colored sheen while displaying no apparent or strong color.

May be combined with, or applied over Petal Dust to create custom colors or effects."

Since I want a light sheen but I don't want to lose the baby blue and light green color under super pearl, I am going to try the blue and green pearl dusts. Of course, I'll do a trial first, but I'll let you know how it goes...

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:17pm
post #12 of 14

Shoot! I am going to go broke trying to keep up with this! I always heard you can use the chalk sets for fondant/gumpaste flowers so I thought, why do I need petal dust??? Well, the pigment is not very deep on the chalk sets so I am placing my first order of petal dust.

And I get the glitter stuff (similar to lustre dust) at michaels. Not the sparkly stuff but they sell it for $3.99 and cheapo that I am, I use a 40% off coupon each week and stock up.

And it is not like most Wilton products - it works fabulously and it's what I use to add sparkle to the tops of the cake truffles, flowers and accents. I noticed those are starting to come out in colors like blue, purple etc but I found I am good if I stick with the "clear", gold and silver and just brush it over.

MacsMom Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:31pm
post #13 of 14

I sooo know what you mean! I keep buying new toys when I can probably get by just fine without them.

I just bought...

1 x Green Pearl Dust 2g (CK43-1105) = $2.64
1 x Blue Pearl Dust 2g (CK43-1113) = $2.64
1 x Angel Wings 2 (fi-ac10icon_cool.gif = $5.75
1 x Light Green Luster Dust (METAL) 2g (CK43-1207) = $2.64
1 x Filigree Snowflake (fi-se295) = $5.75
1 x Cotton Candy Sparkle Dust 2g (CK43-1310) = $2.69
1 x Lime Sparkle Dust 2g (CK43-1326) = $2.69
1 x Glimmer of Blue Platinum Dust (ck43-1526) = $2.99
1 x Silver Glitter Platinum Dust (ck43-1503) = $2.99

icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif

wgoat5 Posted 8 May 2008 , 7:30pm
post #14 of 14

I think I have almost every color lustre dust and pearl dust.. THEN I got into the pixie dusts... I'm all dusted out LMAO

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%