Delivering A Wedding Cake 4 Hours Away....?

Business By sambugjoebear Updated 8 May 2008 , 3:09pm by CoutureCake

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 6 May 2008 , 1:37pm
post #1 of 8

Has anyone ever delivered a wedding cake 4 hours away?

My DH's cousin is getting married in August and is just now getting around to looking for a cake icon_eek.gif My MIL was talking to her sister (DH's Aunt) and just happened to mention that I am starting to sell my cakes and Auntie Dear asked her if I might be interested in making theirs. icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif MIL doesn't know if Auntie will call me and ask or not but thought that I might need to be prepared just in case she does ask.

Has anyone ever delivered a cake 4 hours away? I believe we were planning on going to the wedding anyway, so I wouldnt' charge for gas. I'm assuming it would have to be a very simple design and would have to travel with it unstacked to limit possible damages. I would also plan on bringing a cake "first aid kit." icon_biggrin.gif Of course, this all hinges on a great big "IF". Any advice so I can be prepared with a great big "NO" if I have to?

7 replies
vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 6 May 2008 , 2:29pm
post #2 of 8

I traveled 9 hours in mid summer with unstacked cakes.....they were fine, just keep the A/C on.

I also have traveled over 3 hours with a 3 tier stacked cake, using the Bakery Crafts SPS system.

I always line with mattress eggshell foam, and then a layer of the really good "sticky" nonskid mat....the cakes don't budge an inch.

AuntAndrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntAndrea Posted 7 May 2008 , 3:08am
post #3 of 8

Yup -- I also traveled over 5 hours with four tiers of a wedding cake which I put together on site. That no-skid stuff is wonderful -- unrolled a bunch of that and put the cake boxes on top, and nothing moved the enitre drive!! icon_biggrin.gif

I don't have the confidence yet to travel that far with an already stacked cake, but with the individual layers separate it's not a problem. thumbs_up.gif

Good luck! icon_smile.gif
...Andrea

Elizabeth19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elizabeth19 Posted 7 May 2008 , 4:08am
post #4 of 8

10 hour drive, last 4 miles were on a gravel road with quite a few pot holes; cakes were covered in fondant which definitely helps but they made it fine... You will do great, go for it! icon_biggrin.gif

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 7 May 2008 , 6:52pm
post #5 of 8

I always use the saying.. "If a cake can travel five miles ait can travel thousands as long as you drive like a trucker with a 52' trailer..." meaning, you slow down early for stop signs, you keep a proper traveling distance between you and the car in front of you, you keep your "refer" running (aka AC), and you only stop when it's ABSOLUTELY necessary! (aka fill up the tank or empty the other one)...

I am actually going to be delivering a 3D standing up beekeeper next weekend 4 hours away... I've also delivered a wedding cake fully set up that far away. You can stack it completely before you leave (which is the way to go so when you get there, you just put your border on and you're done), and go. By the cake being all in one piece in a large box, it'll help keep itself cold as long as you have it good and chilled before you leave.

Don't make more stress for yourself than it needs to be if they decide to ask you. You deliver that cake hunderds of miles away exactly as you would if you were driving it up the road 10 miles.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:55am
post #6 of 8

nephews's wedding ... 4 plus hours..... unassembled ..... zero problems.

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:41pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks for the replies. I feel a little better about it now. icon_smile.gif So far they haven't asked, so we'll see. I don't know if I'm going to volunteer though. icon_wink.gif

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:09pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambugjoebear

icon_smile.gif So far they haven't asked, so we'll see. I don't know if I'm going to volunteer though. icon_wink.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I know what you mean... I'm giving a bridal shower gift "$50 towards the purchase of your wedding cake or the gift* of your wedding cake.

*you select the flavor, provide details of the wedding that can be worked into a design (dress details photo, invitation, centerpiece, BM dress swatch/paint chip etc.), and provide four pictures of cake styles you've seen and like @least 1mo before the wedding, and guest count 2 weeks before the wedding.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%