Never Stacked A Cake Before, Could Use Some Guidance:)

Decorating By disneynutbsv Updated 9 May 2008 , 11:42am by campbelland

disneynutbsv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disneynutbsv Posted 6 May 2008 , 11:33am
post #1 of 19

I'm doing a 10-8-6 cake for a Music Festival called the Ice Cream Social (its where our Middle & High School bands play and we get to have dessert!).

Anyhow, I've never stacked a cake before and could really use some guidance. I do have either the bubble straws or dowels (would rather use the straws, but if more tell me to use the dowels, I'll do that).

I've watched the tutorials, but I'm just so nervous about it either falling or sinking into the other cakes!
Help icon_redface.gif

18 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 6 May 2008 , 11:53am
post #2 of 19

Just make sure to use the supports and don't forget to use a cardboard or a plate in between tiers. I like to cover my cardboard both front and back so that the grease and moisture from the cake and icing doesn't weaken the board.

disneynutbsv Posted 6 May 2008 , 11:57am
post #3 of 19

Thanks! I'll be glad when its done and I'll feel a bit more confident on stacking cakes! I think I have 3 stacked cakes to do in June (for family).

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 6 May 2008 , 12:07pm
post #4 of 19

peg~
I'm not a decorator professionally, and not thought to cover my boards. What do you cover them with?

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 6 May 2008 , 12:12pm
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickymacd

peg~
I'm not a decorator professionally, and not thought to cover my boards. What do you cover them with?

I use white contact paper(not the cheap stuff, that has an odor to it) . Before everyone slams me, i know its not rated as food safe, but i figure its okay to line your shelves with that its not going to hurt my cake.

If you aren't comfortable using that, then you can use foil, freezer paper(shinny side out)

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 6 May 2008 , 12:19pm
post #6 of 19

I use separator plates whenever possible. They are stronger and last longer. That being said, I've lost a few over the years, because the instructions of 'please get this back to me' seem to end up being interpreted as 'this can be thrown away'. icon_razz.gif Still... it's less than $5 (especially with coupons) and you don't have to worry about the board bending or having to cover it or anything. I still use dowels, though, for supports.

good luck! Sounds like fun!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 7 May 2008 , 5:36am
post #7 of 19

Illustrate common cake support systems:
(With complete and accurate directions.)

http://tinyurl.com/y22z72

More on SPS system:
(See leahs post.)

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-561846.html

Illustrated level dowel cutting by indydebi:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-434013.html

Wilton's tiered cake help links:
(Everything from making the cakes to decorating with either b/c or fondant.)

http://www.wilton.com/wedding/makecake/index.cfm

HTH

disneynutbsv Posted 7 May 2008 , 10:04am
post #8 of 19

Wow! Thanks JanHicon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 May 2008 , 12:49pm
post #9 of 19

And if you PM me with your email, I'll send you instructions with tons of pictures for SPS.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 7 May 2008 , 11:21pm
post #10 of 19

i like to use bubble tea straws ( wide and very sturdy) and fomecore under the tiers. very sturdy, easy and disposable too!

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 7 May 2008 , 11:35pm
post #11 of 19

icon_confused.gif what are these bubble straws I keep reading about???????? I've never heard of them before.......

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 7 May 2008 , 11:40pm
post #12 of 19

do they sell bubble straws at micheals or joannes?

ericaann79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaann79 Posted 7 May 2008 , 11:42pm
post #13 of 19

I have been using Starbuck's straws! Hahahaha....they are really strong and wide!

sugarshack Posted 7 May 2008 , 11:46pm
post #14 of 19

u can find bubble straws maybe at aisian markets, maybe at party supplies and ALL over the net; just google it!

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:05am
post #15 of 19

ebay has TONS of bubble tea straws. they are basically the wider straws (like McD's, only a little bigger around) not the regular drinking straws you find at the store.

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 8 May 2008 , 9:45pm
post #17 of 19

icon_smile.gif thank you sugarshack. Seeing them got through my "thickness" icon_wink.gif

disneynutbsv Posted 9 May 2008 , 2:46am
post #18 of 19

Thank you everyone! The Ice Cream Social was tonight and I got a lot of:
"Who did that cake??" Wow, Brenda, that's a nice cake!". It made me feel goodicon_smile.gif
But thank you everyone for your guidanceicon_smile.gif

campbelland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
campbelland Posted 9 May 2008 , 11:42am
post #19 of 19

Iv been using the new Wilton white plastic cake speator plates with out the scallops and take my Drimal tool and cut off the feet, you know where you set in the pillers? It makes a great cake board and sturdy too. I just cover with freezer paper (shiny side up). Sandy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%