How Much Flour Can I Stock Up On????? ;-)

Decorating By CakeDiva73 Updated 5 May 2008 , 9:41am by Mike1394

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 5 May 2008 , 1:10am
post #1 of 4

So from the sound of things, flour is going to be really expensive in the coming year or years.....does anyone know why? Also, can I buy now while it's still relatively low and seal and freeze it? How long does vacuum sealed flour 'keep'in the freezer.

Because if it will last a bit, I will be stocking up BIG TIME. The same question applies for sugar and cake mixes? I know sometimes people say 6 months but do you think it would last longer? thanks icon_smile.gif

3 replies
CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 5 May 2008 , 1:50am
post #2 of 4

Or can you not freeze sugar? Will it clump up with the condensation?

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 5 May 2008 , 6:42am
post #3 of 4

Bump! I'd like to know how long it can store in the freezer too, but for a different reason - I have various gluten free flours from some gf cakes I made...don't use em very often, wondering how long they'll last. Why bother saving them if they'll just be rancid by the time I want them again...

BTW there was an interesting article in the newspaper about inflation and grain prices, and how people stockpiling grains actually can CAUSE the price increases that we fear. Why? Stockpiling=massively increased demand...increased demand=prices go up. How maddening!! Darned if you do, darned if you don't. Ah well if you stockpile quickly enough maybe you can buy the stuff before the price is raised due to all of the stockpiling LOL icon_lol.gif!!

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 5 May 2008 , 9:41am
post #4 of 4

If your going to vac pac I would say close to forvever. The thing with flour, you don't want it to get buggy. In the freezer it can't happen. I keep my sugar in the fridge at all times. Thanks for the idea. I might just think about vac pac ing some. At Sam's yesterday it was 10.66 for a 25# of all purpose. icon_mad.gif

Mike

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%