Share Your Wholesale Contract Wording?

Business By Rhienn Updated 7 May 2008 , 6:02pm by Rhienn

Rhienn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhienn Posted 4 May 2008 , 2:33am
post #1 of 7

Anyone here sell wholesale to cafes, etc?

I do cupcakes and am meeting with a cafe owner to discuss a standing order with her. I have ZERO experience with wholesale food transactions. Anyone have a contract they use that they'd be willing to share?

I'll gladly pay you....in cupcakes. icon_lol.gif

6 replies
CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 4 May 2008 , 5:24am
post #2 of 7

I haven't yet but would be interested in seeing one as well since I have no idea how to approach, offer or price such things - good question icon_smile.gif

Rhienn Posted 5 May 2008 , 5:11pm
post #3 of 7

Ok - am starting to panic a little. If you guys don't do this, who the heck am I going to get info from?! You guys know everything! icon_eek.gif

ChrisfromNOLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisfromNOLA Posted 6 May 2008 , 3:03am
post #4 of 7

Well I am no expert, I am just learning to do this sort of thing myself, but this is what i do. When I show up at the meeting, I have a folder with my wholesale pricelist with suggested retail prices and my business card. I also bring samples of a few things I offer. Just keep in mind that cafes and coffehouses usually want to at least double the price of your cupcake or cookie to make their profit. They may also ask the shelf life of an item. I have not dealt with a "standing order" yet, they usually just call me or email me to order what they need every week, depending on what sold. As far as a formal contract...I don't have one yet, I just have certain guidelines I let them know, like how I like to be paid, if I will credit unsold items...etc. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

Rhienn Posted 6 May 2008 , 3:33am
post #5 of 7

Thanks for sharing your experience! I swear, I don't know how people started businesses before the internet. icon_biggrin.gif

shaloop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaloop Posted 7 May 2008 , 1:20am
post #6 of 7

I do wholesale. I offer a discount off of retail price with a certain minimum order. They call me (or text my cell phone) every Friday (or before) to place orders for the next week, usually delivered on Tuesday. I do not have a contract or standing orders. They fill out a client information sheet with their first order that has information like business name, address, phone numbers, contact info (for person who handles orders), sales tax number, and anything else you'd want to know. I make cold calls or call mentioning I was referred depending on the situation. I have a sales pitch and try to speak to the owner, manager or chef. I set up an appointment and on that date I take samples, menu and wholesale pricing sheet. With the first order I take a recommended storage and serving guide, client information sheet (mentioned above) to be filled out and ingredients listing for them to keep on file. That's all I can think of for now. icon_smile.gif

Rhienn Posted 7 May 2008 , 6:02pm
post #7 of 7

You two have been a wealth of information. My meeting is this afternoon and I feel (at least SEMI) prepared.

Thanks so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%