How Much Fondant Do I Need?

Decorating By maude Updated 4 May 2008 , 12:07am by maude

maude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maude Posted 3 May 2008 , 11:27pm
post #1 of 3

Hi guys, I am making a wedding cake in a couple of weeks and the only time I have ever used fondant was on one cake in class. I used that awful tasting Wilton fondant. I am going to make MMF for the wedding cake but not sure how much I need. 14", 10" & 6" square. 2 layers. also how far in advance can I make the fondant and how to store it till ready to use? Thanks

2 replies
CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 3 May 2008 , 11:33pm
post #2 of 3

I would make 3 recipes of the MMF. 2 would probably be good enough but you don't want to get stuck and maybe you need extra for embellishments.

Wrap fondant in saran wrap several times and then put it in a ziplock....it's like sock in a dryer, man. I have no idea how it happens but it does (meaning that air sneaks in and dries it out.)

You can store fondant for several months....I have 6 month old fondant and sadly, it is going in el garbage since its too dry - I can't get it back.

I also find using the microwave and having a warming plate on hand is handy when working with fondant - good luck and have fun!

maude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maude Posted 4 May 2008 , 12:07am
post #3 of 3

Thanks for the info, could you also tell me how to roll it out. Do I put conf. sugar on the counter when working with it to keep it from sticking?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%