Worst Chocolate Fondant Ever... Except Maybe Wilton...

Decorating By kansaswolf Updated 10 May 2008 , 12:44am by butterflywings

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 3 May 2008 , 7:47am
post #1 of 11

Okay, so I was making my homemade fondant last night to cover a cake for Sunday. No biggie, I do this all the time. HOWEVER, I decide to make a chocolate flavor to go with my fudge-filled cake! I use cream cheese, powdered sugar, cornstarch, corn syrup, vanilla and almond flavoring to make my REGULAR fondant, so I figure I'll sub in some cocoa for my corn starch and leave out the almond flavoring. I also nix my clear vanilla in favor of my Madagascar Bourbon vanilla.

It.was.horrible.

I was mixing and mixing, and decided to taste and see if it needed more sugar. *bleah* I take some to my DH, and tell him it's chocolate fondant. He says, "It's sweet, and not entirely un-chocolate..." icon_confused.gif I ask, "Would you eat it AGAIN?" He slowly shakes his head no... Poor guy, he doesn't want to hurt my feelings, but I just wanted to know if my initial thought was shared by someone else. I guess it was.

So my thoughts are, maybe the bourbon vanilla is too strong a conflicting flavor to add to the chocolate... Maybe I added too much cocoa? Because I've had chocolate cheesecake, and it's delectable! This, however, wasn't working... Perhaps I should melt choco chips and add? How best to do that?

Anyone got any thoughts?

10 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 3 May 2008 , 8:21am
post #2 of 11

I made my own chocolate fondant by mixing melted dark chocolate and cocoa powder into regular bought fondant (pettinice) for the 3D Jawa cake in my photos - it was delicious! I did have some problems with it being a little dry at first, so I added in some vegetable fat and glycerine and that helped it a lot. So, I would suggest kneading in some melted chocolate (but be aware this is MESSY!!!).

Cakenator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakenator Posted 4 May 2008 , 4:31pm
post #3 of 11

Try chocolate plastique (not sure if that spelling is right). Tastes like a tootsie roll.

kansaswolf Posted 5 May 2008 , 10:09pm
post #4 of 11

Thanks for the ideas!

I went back and revisited my original recipe, but I swapped out the cocoa I'd used in the first batch for the Hershey's cocoa I NORMALLY use. I also went back to my clear vanilla, and used my normal brand of powdered sugar instead of the off-brand I'd tried...

It.was.DELICIOUS!

I'm thinking the combo of sub-par cocoa and the Madagascar Bourbon vanilla just spelled disaster. However, using the SAME recipe with DIFFERENT BRANDS of ingredients, it turned out GREAT! The cake was a hit... I may try these ideas on a later one, though! Thanks again!

kristina67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristina67 Posted 8 May 2008 , 10:40pm
post #5 of 11

cakenator, what is chocolate plastique?
Kristina

Cakenator Posted 9 May 2008 , 3:47am
post #6 of 11

Its basically semi-sweet chocolate chips and corn syrup melted together to make like a chocolate fondant. Its pretty tough to work with though.

kansaswolf Posted 9 May 2008 , 6:09am
post #7 of 11

Ah, I've got a recipe for that, but it's called Modeling Chocolate... Good idea, though! I plan on trying that SOMEDAY... I just need to do more cakes is all! (I just don't need all the WEIGHT I'd gain... icon_wink.gif )

kristina67 Posted 9 May 2008 , 2:11pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks cakenator...Last week I covered my first chocolate fondant cake 16, 12 and 8 square. I made my own white fondant and mixed in chocolate Pettinice. The flavor was soo good. The texture was something else. I got tiny cracks all over the surface and when I tried to cover the cake the corners ripped open like mad. Eventually I was able to massage most of the cracks out, but the big cracks were not a pretty sight. What was wrong with my fondant. I added soo much crisco to get it lubricated and some water. I even misted the finished cake and wrapped it in saran wrap to give some added moisture. I have another order in two weeks and I'm dreading it. icon_surprised.gif
Any words of wisdom you can give me?
Kristina

Cakenator Posted 9 May 2008 , 5:42pm
post #9 of 11

What kind of fondant do you make? (mmf or original)

kristina67 Posted 9 May 2008 , 11:41pm
post #10 of 11

I make original. I use gelatin, glucose, a little melted Crisco, flavoring, and powder sugar.

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 10 May 2008 , 12:44am
post #11 of 11

sounds like it was too soft - maybe not adding so much crisco would help

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%