Hammering Dowel Rod Through All Three Tiers

Decorating By MrsSid Updated 5 May 2008 , 3:17pm by MrsSid

MrsSid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsSid Posted 2 May 2008 , 4:49pm
post #1 of 4

Hello! I think I'm going to have to make my first attempt at hammering the wooden dowel rod through the entire cake. Due to time, it would be best for me to deliver the cake already assembled and decorated. I've never ran the entire dowel through the cake before.
Can someone give me tips on how to do that? Also I may need to leave instrutions with the party telling them how to disassemble the cake so I'd like to know how to do that as well. Thanks anyone for any help you can give!

3 replies
JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 2 May 2008 , 7:34pm
post #2 of 4

It's a piece of cake! thumbs_up.gif Measure the height of your cake, cut the dowel to the right length, sharpen the end of the dowel (I keep a pencil sharpener just for that) and then gently hammer the dowel through the cake. It's easier than you think!

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 2 May 2008 , 7:47pm
post #3 of 4

I transport all my stacked cakes like this. I leave the dowel in, too, while the cake is there. I have in my instructions that there is a dowel through the whole cake.

MrsSid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsSid Posted 5 May 2008 , 3:17pm
post #4 of 4

thanks for the tips! now when you deliver your cakes already doweled, how many tiers have you had? I have a four tier, luckily the sizes are not too large, 12-10-8-6. my husband will be with me to help lift it. is it difficult to pull the tiers apart when it comes time to serve? i suppose had the reception been at a hotel or established reception hall, the wait staff will already know how to work with a doweled cake. however this event is being served by family/friends and no one will be familiar with disassembling a doweled cake. are there special instructions i should leave with them so that they dont cut the cake while it is still doweled? i'm sorry for all the questions but you guys really sound confident with this trick! thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%